Misc: Ignition ET48AS (ATD Assembly)

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I see this claim often, but never any evidence cited to substantiate it. Does anyone know of any?
I'm not a petro Chemist although I did dable in the test equipment some decades ago. But, I have the experience. I built my Norvin and put it on the road in 1978 and ride it daily. Super petrol was at all the pumps back then. I built it with 9.5:1 pistons, as was the done thing in the seventies and avance by the book at 38 degrees BTDC. In about the late eighties early ninties unleaded petrol started to come in. It didn't come in over night but was phased in and I continued to mostly use Super right up to the end. When I started to use unleaded I noticed the the engine would ping when accelerating. I put up with it for awhile but then took out the 9.5:1 pistons and replaced them with pistons measured at 8.2:1. This helped but the pinging was still there. Slowly I bought the advance back to 34-35 degrees BTDC. This I still run it at today. As an aside the unleaded petrol did cause be a BIG problem but thats a bigger story for another thread.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I'm not a petro Chemist although I did dable in the test equipment some decades ago. But, I have the experience. I built my Norvin and put it on the road in 1978 and ride it daily. Super petrol was at all the pumps back then. I built it with 9.5:1 pistons, as was the done thing in the seventies and avance by the book at 38 degrees BTDC. In about the late eighties early ninties unleaded petrol started to come in. It didn't come in over night but was phased in and I continued to mostly use Super right up to the end. When I started to use unleaded I noticed the the engine would ping when accelerating. I put up with it for awhile but then took out the 9.5:1 pistons and replaced them with pistons measured at 8.2:1. This helped but the pinging was still there. Slowly I bought the advance back to 34-35 degrees BTDC. This I still run it at today. As an aside the unleaded petrol did cause be a BIG problem but thats a bigger story for another thread.

I'm not a chemist either but it was discussed in a thread here about 4 years ago. Whether I am correct or not I don't know and can't prove. I opined that ignition timing is a balancing act between flame speed of the fuel and resistance to detonation. The thread lasted 6 pages before petering out and was I thought interesting reading.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
I'm not a chemist either but it was discussed in a thread here about 4 years ago. Whether I am correct or not I don't know and can't prove. I opined that ignition timing is a balancing act between flame speed of the fuel and resistance to detonation. The thread lasted 6 pages before petering out and was I thought interesting reading.
Strewth thats complex! Yes, combustion chamber shape is a factor in it as well. Vncent one not as bad as some. The combustion chamber we are stck with and fuel for the most part as well so the only option is to tune the ignition advance.