Misc: Ignition ET48AS (ATD Assembly)

Bradley Burt

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
G'day Brad, I have fitted a few of these and I'm really happy with them. They are well made, firmer springs, snappy in the action and have the restricted advance range so the advance can be bought back. Ken Phelps.
Thanks Ken, sounds like Feked is the way to go. What does the restricted advance range mean?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
One can only assume that it means you will get less movement from the Feked ATD when compared to the original Lucas ATD, so the range from advance and retard is lessened, which I think most people recommend these days anyway to accommodate modern fuel, so it could be desirable. Do Feked not give you the specifications in degrees?

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Brad, you should be aiming at a range of about 30° crankshaft (15° A.T.D.) nowadays. This works out to 4° to 34° crankshaft for a single plug engine. This is a good place to start anyhow.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Calling Bill Thomas isn't there a slipping of plastic tubes somewhere if movement needs to be restricted?
Jez is OK , He has a distributor with 10 degrees advance, = 20 plus the 4 for starting =24, Should be close enough,
I suggested he made the retard a bit higher , To Maybe help with the starting, But it would still be within the ball park ?,
But No body has done it before , 830 cc WOW, Lucky Sod !.
I find it very interesting, But he has SO much going on in his head, I can't keep up :) .

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Calling Bill Thomas isn't there a slipping of plastic tubes somewhere if movement needs to be restricted?
Yes, I posted this many years back. I had to retard the ATD range but did it by sliding two 3/8" long pieces of plastic tubing over the opposing stops. This can be done through the ATD cover, just don't drop them in the timing chest. Ken.

Last edited:

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Ken, sounds like Feked is the way to go. What does the restricted advance range mean?
G'day Brad. The original advanced timing figures were about 39 degrees BTDC. The original ATDs' had a range of 17 degrees, this gives spark at about 4 degrees BTDC for starting and idling. Todays fuels burn quicker so that that advance figure can be bought back to about 34-35 degrees full advance. With a standard ATD this would give a starting and idling figure of TDC or even after TDC. By restricting the ATD range, this gives spark for starting and idling at about 3 degrees BTDC.