F: Frame Engine plates for Dave Hills stand

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the replies I think there is some confusion about what I have and what and why I am asking. Dave made me a stand for my standard/stock finish Comet of which I made the comment to Dave that it was difficult to get the bike onto it, Dave said that Comets did not vary that much but now asked for dimensions these noted below:

Dave then made a new stand just a little longer; he said it was down to geometry and not welding extra bits on as I had done.

The new stand fitted and works fine but as Dave died while the replacement was in the post I was left with the one that did not work on my Comet.

Now to my question: One of the lads in the Surrey section is rebuilding his fathers bike that has not been on the road in many years it is a C Rapide and in need of the no longer available Dave Hills Stand so I offered my spare, it can be modified as was recently seen by cutting the feet off and tapping a thread and making adjustable feet something I had read about and which in my opinion is a very sensible idea, however a pair of engine plates are needed. Al who is helping with the rebuild said that his Rapide engine plates can be used as patterns if we/he can find a place to get them presumably laser cut to date Al has not found anywhere that will do this job at an affordable cost.

That gentlemen is the question I am asking for a member who does not have internet access as I do.

Dave had written me:
I can tell you that 99% of all Comets will measure 13" from floor to centre point of RFM pivot. Altered springs and 'after-market' dampers will alter the 13" measurement by up to 3/4"--plus or minus but the tolerance that I incorporate in all of my Comet stands should easily cope with the minor measurement differences that turn up.
Dave Hills

I measured as Dave directed and sent him these measurements:

Floor to rear spring pivot 1st measure 23- 3/8” second measure 23 -1/8”
Floor to centre RFM pivot 1st measure 13- 1/4” second measure 13 -1/4”
Measured each side added and divide by 2 as instructed.
The stand as supplied was never easy to mount even before I had a 1/4” welded on which still did not lift the rear wheel off the ground so another 3/8” was added the rear wheel was now 3/4” off the ground as I think it should be. I was still unable to mount the bike easily it has always taken considerable effort to mount.

Chris

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That sounds back to front to me Chris ?.
The longer the legs, The harder it is to put it on the stand ?.
Cheers Bill.

Chris.R

VOC Member
Can you expand on your statement "Length did not suit"?

If the issue is the lengths of the legs you DO NOT need new plates, you need to 'adjust" the leg length.

If needed ask and I can tell how.
Hi Martyn I have the drawing spec for the adjustable leg option to pass on. Thanks

Chris.R

VOC Member
I have a Dave Hills stand complete on the shelf for a twin . I can ask my freind Stephan to copy it by watercutting.Then i would change to a aluminium alloy wich high strength because the originals are very heavy.Doing more than one copy is an easy job. Erik
Hi Eric what would the cost of a pair of plates be it will help Al no end.
Chris

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Chris, These cheap 4. 1/4" Hand held grinding machines are good with a very narrow cutting disc,
On 1/4" steel plate, Best wear eye protection ! etc.
To get rounded corners, I use disc with angled bits, Bit like Flap wheels ?.
That and a drill for the holes should be OK,
It does not have to be perfect ?,
I use "D" stands and 1/4" Alloy Plates, hand made.
Even made a "D" stand out of old Vincent handle bars !!, For my Comet.

But I think there is some welding needed with the Dave Hills Stand ?.
Cheers Bill.
Bill, do u also hv a twin with 2 front heads? (Why should one hv a Comet with a rear head?)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I did a lot of Racing with my Special Twin, And the L/ning rep',
So needed 4 front heads !!,
I only had a rear for the Comet, Works OK, Maybe not as fast as it could be !.
Funny , Ted Davis told us of a fast Comet with a rear head, But It needed a special petrol tank,
So the manifold worked right.
I also raced the Comet, With the rear head, But it was just for a Ride !.
Funny , Building the "D" Comet, I found a front head !!!, No clue where it came from,
Memory getting Bad !, Too many bangs on the head !,
But had lots of Fun !.
Cheers Bill.

Attachments

• scan0001 (2).jpg
    scan0001 (2).jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 9

erik

VOC Member
@ Chris . I ask Stephan how much it will cost.As more want to have it as cheaper it will be!

oexing

VOC Member
I have never liked the feet of the Hills stand, not safe on soft ground and on hard place a struggle to get the thing onto the stand. Just no good design as on a lot of bikes with designers without a clue about geometry. The feet got to have a curved shape of feet like Guzzis had prewar - which I copied and designed with a little help of cardboard on a paper for getting the required stand height and smooth gaining of height while you shove the bike back. So no more the awkward heave in the beginning of the action but an easy smooth rolling back. So when thinking about fabricating a new stand, do some designwork before so as not to fall into same trap of miserable practicality.

Vic
Guzzi 1934 stand:
IMG00019.JPG

Modified Guzzi idea with parallel feet base:
IMG00009.JPG

Same idea for Honda Clubman:
P1030325.JPG