F: Frame Engine plates for Dave Hills stand

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Where would it be possible to get a set of engine plates for a Dave Hills stand if available or if not get them cut at a reasonable price. These for a Rapide the owner has the stand but not the plates.

Chris

timetraveller

VOC Member
The VOCSC is reputed to be thinking about having some Dave Hills stands made. I have a new stand waiting to be fitted so it would not be too much effort to draw up these plates in ACAD and get some either water jetted or laser cut out. However, I am up to my armpits with JE steering stems, new brake shoes and hydraulic steering dampers so I would not want to find the time to get any welding or tapping of holes done. The people who do the cutting for me have a minimum charge of £50 so it would be better to get a few sets made if there is the interest. I would get them made in stainless steel and if that was not what was wanted the people would have to paint them themselves or I coiuld get them powder coated.

Chris.R

VOC Member
A pair of Stand plates are available as patterns it is just that Al has been quoted £400 to have another set made from these I was hoping I could advise him where to go.

Chris

timetraveller

VOC Member
Sorry Chris, I do not know someone who would just copy existing plates. The people who do the work for me require a .dxf or ,dwg file. These are things that one has to create in the computer using a CAD (computer aided design) program. This requires me to measure the existing plates, carefully, and then to create the drawings which the metal cutters can use. I did this for the SC a few months ago to allow the manufacture of two types of aluminium damper knobs and the Brampton damper knobs. Prior to that these components were not available and as I wanted some of the aluminium knobs myself I could justify the time taken to do the work. I even polished the ali ones by hand prior to shipping them out to the SC although some bright spark thought that they were too shiny! Can't please all the people all the time!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just a point Chris, Are you sure it's a Dave Hills Stand ?,
The "D" stand is different, Not a lot , But the fitting is not the same.
Cheers Bill.

Chris.R

VOC Member
Yes it is a Dave Hills stand it is the one that was supplied for the Comet and the length did not suit
Sorry Chris, I do not know someone who would just copy existing plates. The people who do the work for me require a .dxf or ,dwg file. These are things that one has to create in the computer using a CAD (computer aided design) program. This requires me to measure the existing plates, carefully, and then to create the drawings which the metal cutters can use. I did this for the SC a few months ago to allow the manufacture of two types of aluminium damper knobs and the Brampton damper knobs. Prior to that these components were not available and as I wanted some of the aluminium knobs myself I could justify the time taken to do the work. I even polished the ali ones by hand prior to shipping them out to the SC although some bright spark thought that they were too shiny! Can't please all the people all the time!
Oh dear I thought it was just a matter of having a pattern and tracing round it never mind Al will have to wait until some other solution is found.

Chris

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Yes it is a Dave Hills stand it is the one that was supplied for the Comet and the length did not suit

Oh dear I thought it was just a matter of having a pattern and tracing round it never mind Al will have to wait until some other solution is found.

Chris
Can you expand on your statement "Length did not suit"?

If the issue is the lengths of the legs you DO NOT need new plates, you need to 'adjust" the leg length.

If needed ask and I can tell how.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I'd expect the Comet and twin left pillion plate to be the same and the twin right plate to have an extended front.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Chris, These cheap 4. 1/4" Hand held grinding machines are good with a very narrow cutting disc,
On 1/4" steel plate, Best wear eye protection ! etc.
To get rounded corners, I use disc with angled bits, Bit like Flap wheels ?.
That and a drill for the holes should be OK,
It does not have to be perfect ?,
I use "D" stands and 1/4" Alloy Plates, hand made.
Even made a "D" stand out of old Vincent handle bars !!, For my Comet.

But I think there is some welding needed with the Dave Hills Stand ?.
Cheers Bill.

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_083253 (2).jpg
    IMG_20190804_083253 (2).jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 11

erik

VOC Member
I have a Dave Hills stand complete on the shelf for a twin . I can ask my freind Stephan to copy it by watercutting.Then i would change to a aluminium alloy wich high strength because the originals are very heavy.Doing more than one copy is an easy job. Erik