Misc: Ignition Electronic Ignition Vs B.T.H Magneto Replacement

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The BTH is £732 inc.VAT. Good upgrade but I'd sooner go for the Rita mod or a more efficient electronic ignition system.
Add to that maybe an LED headlight bulb. I hope to fit LED indicators soon anyway.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Cure for the Rita would be to fit LED bulbs…..
It did help a little that I have LED tail lights fitted. At the time I switched to BTH, LED headlights required the fitting of large heat sink at the rear of the headlight. Now that does not appear to be the case. Not to side track to much, but LED turn signals seem to require either a resistor to be added to the circuit for the flasher to function or a special flasher unit. Adding a resistor would seem to negate the point of going to LED turn signals. Do the special units have an added resistor or do they function on a lower threshold of current? Does anyone know?

oexing

VOC Member
Get a LED flasher relay:
led flash

led relay

But then, who believes car drivers care anything about flashlights on motorbikes at all ?? I don´t have flashlights on my classics as I don´t have to. As I don´t drive at night since many years there is not much use for lights when changing lanes or streets. I do use hand signs like most pushbike drivers should - basically. So no argument that car drivers were no longer used to watch hand signs, no flashlights on pushbikes so far. PLUS, I don´t forget to cancel the flashlight for half an hour as is typical on bikes so nobody will know what comes next. I have never ever forgot to return my arm to the handlebar after the signalling need was met !

Vic

danno

Non-VOC Member
Get a LED flasher relay:
led flash

led relay

But then, who believes car drivers care anything about flashlights on motorbikes at all ?? I don´t have flashlights on my classics as I don´t have to. As I don´t drive at night since many years there is not much use for lights when changing lanes or streets. I do use hand signs like most pushbike drivers should - basically. So no argument that car drivers were no longer used to watch hand signs, no flashlights on pushbikes so far. PLUS, I don´t forget to cancel the flashlight for half an hour as is typical on bikes so nobody will know what comes next. I have never ever forgot to return my arm to the handlebar after the signalling need was met !

Vic
I’ve been using hand signalling since taking the Craven rack and indicators off. It’s ok for quiet roads but wouldn’t want to be restricted to those only.
The flasher unit would do but I hope to fit one of the other small devices suggested in my LED indicator post.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
It did help a little that I have LED tail lights fitted. At the time I switched to BTH, LED headlights required the fitting of large heat sink at the rear of the headlight. Now that does not appear to be the case. Not to side track to much, but LED turn signals seem to require either a resistor to be added to the circuit for the flasher to function or a special flasher unit. Adding a resistor would seem to negate the point of going to LED turn signals. Do the special units have an added resistor or do they function on a lower threshold of current? Does anyone know?
The modern flasher units are fully solid state inside, and will work with either LED's or incandescent bulbs.
I get mine off eBay for about 4-5 GBP

I'll dig out a listing number later

Neil