Misc: Ignition Electronic Ignition Vs B.T.H Magneto Replacement

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What about an original magneto ? my Shadow started first kick today with it, ironically it had to have a BTH removed as it did not seem to run right with it, it was sent back and was all correct but the then owner had the mag done instead and it did run fine, I had a BTH on another bike and it was superb but to repeat why not a magneto ?

IRBrock

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Tim but the question was for IRBrock. I noticed you said "programable Trispark" in #5.
Hi Eric, I set it up at about 32 B.T.D.C. from memory (not entirely reliable). The bike is fitted with Grosset starter. Trispark has an extra 5 degrees retard at cranking speed, this is the reason that there is no kick back with them. Very important with the electric start.

ericg

VOC Member
Hi Eric, I set it up at about 32 B.T.D.C. from memory (not entirely reliable). The bike is fitted with Grosset starter. Trispark has an extra 5 degrees retard at cranking speed, this is the reason that there is no kick back with them. Very important with the electric start.
I wasn't aware of the extra cranking speed degrees, Steve Kelly at Trispark didn't mention it when asked about the advance range and it's not mentioned in the specifications.
Thanks, that's useful info.

roger v

VOC Member
Looks like an early version of the XR700 by Crane. I've had a Lucas Rita on my Shadow and currently have a BTH on it. The Rita worked fine, the only reason I swapped was it sucked up the electrons. Between it and the quartz halogen headlight the Alton could not keep up. Now they are independent of each other and the Alton has an easier time of it. The Comet is fitted with a Boyer Bransden system which seems to not seem so addicted to electrons. I'm considering getting a BTH for the Comet to separate the systems. I'm also considering refurbishing the K1F for this.
On my 60s and 70s Triumphs I have both Lucas Rita and Boyer Bransden, both have been reliable and I'm glad I swapped to them. But I think the capacity of the 3 phase, 180 watt RM24 alternators I've fitted play a large part in this as they provide their maximum power at fairly low rpm. There are posts on this forum point out that the speed of the dynamo/Alton arrange is less than engine speed. I'm not convinced the Alton provides enough as I live in a fairly built up area and low engine speeds are the order of the day. Incidentally I have a Crane system fitted to my MG B, and that takes a moment or two after startup for the charge light to go out. I think you would be better served by either getting a newer system that doesn't use a lot of current or a BTH.
Steven
Had a Rita on my Venom for years , then twelve months ago it expired . Fitted Rex's Rita Revival circuit board which it is claimed reduces the power hungry Rita AB5 units to AB11 standard . Now all is well , especially the low geared Velo starting , not like the BTH previously fitted

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Had a Rita on my Venom for years , then twelve months ago it expired . Fitted Rex's Rita Revival circuit board which it is claimed reduces the power hungry Rita AB5 units to AB11 standard . Now all is well , especially the low geared Velo starting , not like the BTH previously fitted
Roger can you tell us who does the repairs now on Rita,
I have one , If it packs up, I think I will go Distributor ,
But handy to know about Rita.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member

danno

Non-VOC Member
This may help with my Rapide’s Rita ignition but not sure what version it is. Fitted in the early nineties when bike was restored. I have an Alton fitted but the output is countered by the power hungry Rita unit.
The ammeter rarely shows a decent charge and stays around ‘0’ most of the time.
Might be a worthwhile upgrade if compatible.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Danno , Have you got 2, 6 v coils on your bike ?, With a 12 v other electrics ?
This is what I use,
But I did breakdown once and used one 12 v coil and one 6v coil ,
Just to get home.
Don't know if you know, But don't kick the engine over with the ign' On, And the plug leads OFF,
It Blows Up the magic box ?.

Attachments

• F3A3AA28-BD5A-43C4-86CF-C14394D99BF8.png
    F3A3AA28-BD5A-43C4-86CF-C14394D99BF8.png
    411.8 KB · Views: 14

bmetcalf

VOC Member
If the battery is fully charged, the regulator will decrease the output and the ammeter will show zero. If the headlight is turned on for additional load on the Alton, the meter may show negative or the Alton may be able to handle that load, too.