Ebay Motor Parts

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I can't stand the thought of a Vin getting stolen, Or anything else, But does that mean for the rest of time the, Say engine will not see the light of day, Seems a shame to me, What do other people think ? Cheers Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
Quite a few Vincents that were raced in various countries had there numbers removed and re-stamped, sometimes more than once depending on the rules of the sanctioning body. The racing log books often use the engine number and when engines were replaced the new engine was stamped with the old number. Additionally, I know of several Vincents that were left by their owners at various bike shops and never collected.

The most famous stolen Vincent is the "Bathing suit bike" that Rollie Free rode to a record. After the record John Edgar rode the bike on the street for a while and then loaned it to someone. He never got it back. After Herb Harris bought it decades later from the seller he ended up buying it from John Edgar's son, who had the title. Herb complained that he had to buy the bike twice. I am certain that when he sold it that it all seemed worthwhile.

David

Spqreddie

VOC Member
The engine sold: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231051922771?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have to admit that i tought about bidding on it, but in the end i didnt. I didn't want to bid on something with an unclear origin that could have been may be subtracted to some Club Member/legitimate owner in the past.
I even wrote to the machine register to know something more about the engine with the mating numbers provided by the seller, but no more info avialble, the seller also provided a Log Book and reigsration nuber that the machine register confirmed belonging to another bike, so really i didn't want to get into this and didn't bid.

But here is the problem; how we, the new generation of Vincent owners (i'm in my early 30ies), are supposed to keep the love for the marque going if you are not letting things go!!;-))
May be we should set up an adoption scheme! each one of you older member should adopt and giude a new member! (and sell to him some part!) in order to pass the knowledge before is too late..
We need riders and maruqe savvy, not only collectors!
I bought my rapide (in boxes!) not as a show room piece or a gold ingott to be sold in a few years. I want to keep her ride her as you did, and hopefully find some more spare parts to be keep for future projects (like the cases in object that just went..)

Eddie

minivin

VOC Member
Unfortunately Eddie, the bikes hold a value at this moment in time and I don't begrudge any owner from wanting to get as much as possible for their bikes.

Yes, I'd like a complete Black Shadow, but over the years the club have helped me collect the parts to build two Comets and now I am removing one engine from the Egli frame and collecting parts, to build a twin engine into the Egli frame. That is the only way I will ever be able to afford a twin.......

It's a difficult problem, many other clubs will be suffering the same situation, Velocette, Jaguar E Type, etc etc, In some ways I'd like to see basket case Comets be made available to young aspiring members for a couple of grand. But parts are rare and what with the Girdraulic forks selling for a couple of grand by themselves, we would need some very generous members in the club to be able to generate such a scheme.

davidd

VOC Member
I think that the problem is as much on the young end as the old end. There are very few young people interested in mechanics of any sort. There are fewer interested in fabrication or machining. Young folks cannot even learn the basics today, because the basics have changed so much. I think most members on this forum jump at the chance to help another.

I did give a complete matching numbers Comet basket case to a young member in his twenties. I suspect that I am not the only one. I would like to think that we all give what we can and that may vary greatly from time to time. Sometimes it is a part, sometimes advice, sometimes it is a bike.

I see that the engine sold for $6,700, which is certainly a good chunk of change for a sawed-off engine. I suspect the engine could have been raced and the abuse it has suffered is certainly consistent with other motors from Argentina or the like.

David

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Hi Minivin,
I understand and I don"t blame anyone for not wanting to lose their money of course! I know the value of Vincents now, and my my post was a bit provocative/funny just to raise the issue,

I was not proposing donations, i'm willing to buy at the right price, is just that you older members are not yet ready to sell your spares stocks hiddens in your sheds!;-))
My «adoption» concept was more for not to lose the knowledge,not for the parts. We remain human being, and even if generous we have all limits i know; but we have to remember that we do not own our bikes, we are just custodian of them for a time before to pass them on to another lover of them (hopefully and not a speculator!)

Ciao,
Eddie

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Eddie, Don't forget some of us Have a Wife !! And now they know what the bikes are worth, soon as my eyes close she will want the money from them. Good Luck, Bill.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Hello Eddie, Don't forget some of us Have a Wife !! And now they know what the bikes are worth, soon as my eyes close she will want the money from them. Good Luck, Bill.

That's why mine are in the will to be in trust for my son. The Shadow was my father's, I'll pass it along to my son. Hell, I'm putting all my tools and toys in there for him.
Steven

Chris Launders

VOC Member
For that sort of money I would have thought it about possible to get a new set of crankcases and barrels then pick up two second hand heads.
Chris.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes Chris, But these are already chopped, No point in messing up another set of cases, Some people prefer another gearbox, Not me, All The Best, Bill.