E228 - Comet Dynamo Pinion

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I have four of these stripped pinions from local lads and one from South Londoner Bob the builder.

P1050681.JPG

drilled at an angle then tapped 1/4" BSP for a plug that can be removed and using the gear box dip stick that has a length of extended Bowden cable attached and dip the Alton gear box that has done over 10k miles since the 2007 international as I took the Alton from my bike to fit to the bikes I borrowed and bought a new one when I got back home.

P1050624.JPG

P1050622.JPG

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here it is, from OVR #44
Thanks your instruction Martyn. I earlier had found found setting up a Comet Timing Case on p22 of MPH852 today and your article helps but I am certain that I read in MPH apiece which gave instructions starting with centralising the dynamo and then realigning all the idlers in the timing case the pertinent comment was
"you will have borrowed a PD16"

that I have not found in spite of spending a day looking so may have overlooked it, the spec said that you must start with the dynamo central and then mesh the idlers away from that. it finished saying
"Now return the borrowed PD16."

Chris

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Thanks your instruction Martyn. I earlier had found found setting up a Comet Timing Case on p22 of MPH852 today and your article helps but I am certain that I read in MPH apiece which gave instructions starting with centralising the dynamo and then realigning all the idlers in the timing case the pertinent comment was
"you will have borrowed a PD16"

that I have not found in spite of spending a day looking so may have overlooked it, the spec said that you must start with the dynamo central and then mesh the idlers away from that. it finished saying
"Now return the borrowed PD16."

Chris
With a Comet install the dynamo/alton/generator (it MUST be central for the garter seal to function correctly) and the camshaft and AFTER that then install the large idler and adjust it for desired backlash (minimial). After that select an appropriate sized small idler to go onto the mainshaft.

Chris.R

VOC Member
With a Comet install the dynamo/alton/generator (it MUST be central for the garter seal to function correctly) and the camshaft and AFTER that then install the large idler and adjust it for desired backlash (minimial). After that select an appropriate sized small idler to go onto the mainshaft.
Ok I understand that part but to find what I read I will have to go back through Journals again!