E228 - Comet Dynamo Pinion

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Phelps, which direction are you orienting the generator drive gear seals?
thanks
Craig

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
G'day Craig,
The same way I put all seals in. Spring towards the oil. with a double lip seal with the very light pressure in the engine it probably wouldn't matter which way it went. And I have two double lipped seals in there as well as an o-ring between the two. By rights a gnats fart shouldn't get through. At one stage I was stuffing great wads of hand towel down between the back of the crankcase and the gear box to soak it all up.

Phelps.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Dear Ken,I think it quite possible you have porosity in the casting on the face that accepts the generator, or else the oil might be coming from somewhere even sneakier like one of the cylinder studs.Have you confirmed your breather timing by standing on your head and blowing on a garden hose whilst watching a timing disc on the other side of the bike via a dentist's mirror and a magnifying glass?

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Yes, about seven replies ago I covered that question. I am seriously believing that it must be coming from a porosity in the casting or a too deep machining operation. Yes did it the first time and hurt my head so now use a cushion.

Chris.R

VOC Member
Hi I have the same issue as Ken am I imagning it or was there something of an article in MPH a while ago about centering the dynamo shaft with temporary use of a PD16 a description of how to reset the idlers in the timing chest which are moveable to get meshing correct?

PS Kens 1952 Comet used to bear the UK reg NKN112 I owned the old girl in the 1960s.

Chris

Chris.R

VOC Member
The reason that leaks occur is because the timing chest has not been set correctly. The first part of the assembly should be the dynamo, centralised in its seal. Then the cam, the large idler, and the selective half time pinion. Most tend to fit the dynamo last.
Was there and article in MPH a while ago something about using a PD16 to centre the dynamo?
Chris

craig

VOC Member
What are the recommendations for an Alton/Comet installation?
20211128_CometAlton12V.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
Wince you all may but I have a huge hole in my Comet where the dynamo (Alton) enters the timing chest (ex racer motor of course) I doubt that there is more than a 3/8" circle of dynamo facing aluminum left.
Not only does it allow accurate positioning of teeth engagement before clamping. the two faces dynamo and crankcase are sealed with copious wodge of silicone mastic (I cleaned off any protruding after setting)
As the man in the tent said 'it aint leaked yet'.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
After fitting a couple of new Altons recently the plastic pinion they supply does not have a shoulder sufficiently long enough to fit into a gartered lip seal and can only be sealed with a type of silicon sealant.
I must ask Paul Hamond why this is. Watch this space. The other thing I suggested they did when they made the double speed Alton was the use of grease which was useless as one can see in any stripped angle grinder the grease is flung far & wide and gets dried out, so I fill them with gear oil or this happens.