E/bay cases

Dinny

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Definitely an expensive engine number, otherwise they are too far gone and just scrap. I would guess they are an early C Shadow and not a B but I could be wrong.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Looks as if the `B` has been overstamped, judging by the fact that it`s on top of a slash. A 4____ number is hardly likely to be a `49, perhaps Vince could tell us a little more of the cases GG21. It looks as if whoever bored it out, thought to move the centres, because the liners would be passing through one another, halfway up the stroke ! and they still do ! How the front end is supposed to be held together is anyones guess.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Interesting to see that the person who is currently bidding £2000 for these cases has made 25 bids, on 12 items in the past month. All with this seller!

That is a little unusual.

Garth Robinson

VOC Member
These cases were on US e bay a month or so for US $2000.by a well known club member,along with the reason they came to be in their present condition.When they were sold I assumed they would be used to 'rebirth' a set of Rapide cases (as people do) adding heaps to their value.Shows that you shouldn't expect the worst of people!

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Is the reason suitable to be shared?

These cases were on US e bay a month or so for US $2000.by a well known club member,along with the reason they came to be in their present condition.When they were sold I assumed they would be used to 'rebirth' a set of Rapide cases (as people do) adding heaps to their value.Shows that you shouldn't expect the worst of people!

greg brillus

VOC Member
May be a Bit "Out there" but is it possible the cases were being modified to use as a pattern mold to make some chopped big bore cases, what with the extra bits added to the front and rear as fillers if you like, and done years ago when the numbers meant nothing, but everything nowerdays......well, to the investor/collector who never use the bikes anyway. As you say, the said cases are basically scrap now......what a shame. Greg.

Garth Robinson

VOC Member
Is the reason suitable to be shared?

I think so.The previous seller mentioned obtaining them from a person who intended to build a V4 motor.He offered them for sale with a machined spacer which fitted between the two halves now offered for sale.It must have got lost in the post.Even the E bay pictures look the same.

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy chaps,

Quick note on a mobile device, thus my apologies for lack of clickable inline link. Below are my pix of the cases in question taken at pat's party a couple of years ago at Daytona. Shame these are being sold without the spectacular artistic license the make had in mind. A V 4 Vin motor. We'd all concluded they'd make a great coffee table base at the time. They were a challenging lump for Somer and I to shag out for that gathering.

http://petergz.smugmug.com/Events/D...-2011/19890512_sFr5W5#!i=1565084474&k=xRr6Mrc

davidd

VOC Member
Peter,

Thanks for the photo link. I did not recognize the cases without the center piece. I think the party was in 2011?

David