DVLA are still around....

Alan J

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Tom's right-they just annoy the road legal!!-the "illegals" don't give a toss!-Anyway, just read and attempt to digest the latest proposals about "continuous insurance!"-that will put all our blood pressures up!

vibrac

VOC Member
hate is not strong enough...
If you have a vehicle not on the road since 97*(I think) or whenever this particular job for the boys came in then sorn does not apply to it.not that any of the jobs worth know that fact
Also the crap goes with you and NOT the machine so if you do not correctly inform on scraping ,selling,exporting etc then its not the new owner its YOU for the crap fight.
Oh and by the by You cannot scrap anything anymore it has to go to a properly authorised (more jobs for the boys) operative. (Scrap man to you and me)
So if you think you can just strip it and put the parts on e-bay and loose the V5 sorry -Thats too useful a way of recycling, you will have to keep the SORN going, you were the last man holding the parcel
All this red tape rubbish when they have computer records and ANPR cameras comming out of their backsides
Still lads keep smiling and paying their civil service pensions...

vibrac

VOC Member
Tom's right-they just annoy the road legal!!-the "illegals" don't give a toss!-Anyway, just read and attempt to digest the latest proposals about "continuous insurance!"-that will put all our blood pressures up!

THanks Alan
I did read it here is a good bit

Where a motor vehicle isn't used on a road or other public place, there’s no requirement to purchase insurance cover for 'on road risk' as long as a SORN declaration has been made. The continuous insurance enforcement scheme is expected to come into force during 2011.

So where does that leave someone with a 1952 7R that has never been on the road and does not have a V5 is it a "motor vehicle" is a race track a "public place"? if it is then reading on "offenders will risk having their vehicle seized and destroyed". look out owners of formula 1 cars at silverstone for a start
A professor at the university of Nottingham drempt up this flawed logic bomb (and I bet I paid for his tuition fees)

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you really want to make your blood boil visit their offices in Swansea. I was doing a job there about 15 years ago and decided to go in there for reasons I do not recall now. The entrance lobby to this government office would be the pride of any international hotel and it has the largest chandlier I have ever seen. If it is still the same now as it was then it was a clear two fingers up to the tax payer.

vibrac

VOC Member
STOP PRESS!
It seems we are ahead of the curve for once
See this months OBM out on 1st December they will have an article about continious insurance....

Howard

VOC Member
Can some one tell me what SORN is? Being in Oz, I have no idea what it is.

Graham

Standard Off Road Notification

If the road tax runs out at the start of Winter, it's quite common for some of us lesser motorcyclists not to re tax the bike til Spring when the weather may or may not warm up slightly. If this happens, we now have to declare that we have taken the motorcycle (or other vehicle) off the road and will not be using it (SORN). If we don't tell "them" we get fined.

If you've not got anything like this in Oz, destroy this thread now before some beurocrat decides it a good idea there too.

H

bmetcalf

VOC Member
In my state, the annual tax on a bike is $16.25 or about GBP 10. You can't afford not to move here! Of course, too cold to ride 5 months of the year. Although, there have been freak warm days and I have ridden at least once in each month.

Howard

VOC Member
In my state, the annual tax on a bike is $16.25 or about GBP 10. You can't afford not to move here! Of course, too cold to ride 5 months of the year. Although, there have been freak warm days and I have ridden at least once in each month.

£70 p.a. here (for a twin) not to mention petrol at £1.20 ish per litre with about 75% of that as tax.

H

timetraveller

VOC Member
ERRRR!!!!! I think I must be missing something. Are not our bikes so old that the tax is free? We do still have to SORN them though.