DVLA are still around....

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
a couple of months or so ago, we were asked to give suggestions to save money in view of the present crisis to No10.
Mine was to scrap the whole DVLA,staff,buildings,the sorn and all the other spy rubbish that makes up the sorry system,Put a yearly MOT badge on the vehicle and add road tax to petrol. of course since the cost of collecting taxes is never factored in to the totals collected (When ever did turkeys vote for Christmas) my idea has been ingnored.

Never mind

So safe from the cuts the latest from the swansea pit is that the DVLA are apparently refusing to issue V5C registration certificates to re-engined cars without proof of the engines history

Be fun with the Comet crankcase I have had under the bench for 30 years, let alone the douglas stationary engine whose crankcase I am fitting to a T35 or the 1927 scott bought as a job lot of parts in a thousand bits....

bmetcalf

VOC Member
So many times the bureaucrats make rules about things they know nothing about. What you have listed is perfectly legitimate and should be admired, but to someone who just buys a new car every few years and sees/treats it as an appliance or status symbol, it is incomprehensible and therefore shouldn't be encouraged.

vibrac

VOC Member
You are so right Bruce, I am reminded of the continious insurance proposed a year or so back and the amazment when 'they' discovered that some people have motorcycles and cars that they own and use and never go on the road!.Or the farcical proposal (It got to the house of commons) that vehicles even those never used on the road should be registered and have a numberplate.However the other way round when you want to insure them for Fire and theft I had a hell of a time telling my classic insurance company that I only had a frame number for one of my racing bikes and it had never been registered.Later being a nerd (It pays sometimes) I found out by reading the small print that I was only entitiled to 50% value anyway since it did not have an MOT ( so any racing bikes even with a V5 are on a 'laid up' insurance now)
We tend to forget we are out of the ordinary to the law makers (bless their jackboots)

Howard

VOC Member
Agree with you all on this. Just to take it a stage further, why not put road tax and third party insurance on fuel costs. You only pay for what you use and you never get hit by an uninsured driver?

H

timetraveller

VOC Member
Gentlemen. gentlemen, this is all much too rational. Do you really expect the pompous prats who ru(i)n this country to try to make life more efficient and less bureaucratic. Where would they be without their power. You might think/hope it unbelievable but the comments in the short story about Peekay and the Pirates concerning senior members of the judiciary and members of the upper house were based upon FACT. No wonder we are in trouble!

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Well Well, bleedin' Well, That's put paid to me registering my large engined Comet tricycle hasn't it. Baskets all of 'em. Anyone want to buy a 3/4 finished trike?
Also, Howard, I believe that the German authorities already do as you suggest, or have I got that wrong too. A thoroughly teed off Primmer.

Howard

VOC Member
Well Well, bleedin' Well, That's put paid to me registering my large engined Comet tricycle hasn't it. Baskets all of 'em. Anyone want to buy a 3/4 finished trike?
Also, Howard, I believe that the German authorities already do as you suggest, or have I got that wrong too. A thoroughly teed off Primmer.

I didn't know that, I'll have to think of something new if the Germans got there first. I do know it costs me a fortune on French motorways, and they use ours for free.

I'm sure we can build up a "history" for your Comet engine within the clubs "records", some of us have probably got photos of it when it was in another frame racing etc etc one engine looks like any other to a DVLA person.

H

vibrac

VOC Member

Well I did mention this on the forum a month ago (Thread: Periodical Technical Inspections PTI) Some even said a German style MOT was a good thing! Well lads if you didn't register your opposition then ,its too late now.
I have said it before and I will say it again as many times as necessary
An assault on the rights of any motorcycle group (and perhaps also any historic car group) is an assault on us all just because we ride Vincents doesnt make us immune. thank heaven for the FBHVC! untill MAG and the BMF get together (fat chance of that ,and I would not blame MAG if it said no) the FBHVC are the only lobby group with clout