H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Dunlop K70 for rear tyre?

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
I need to renew the rear tyre on my C Rapide. I’ve fitted an Avon Speedmaster on the front and a Dunlop K70 was recommended for the rear as it has a rounder profile.
The rear is currently a Safety Mileage Mkii and has been fine but has hairline cracks due to standing for years.
Just wondering if anyone has the Dunlop fitted and is ride height altered?
Any help appreciated.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
I just ordered a Metzeler Block C for my Comet to replace the old one. Hopefully will fit it before the Scandinavian rally. Probably don't have time as I have a race on the Manx first.

danno

Non-VOC Member
I just ordered a Metzeler Block C for my Comet to replace the old one. Hopefully will fit it before the Scandinavian rally. Probably don't have time as I have a race on the Manx first.
Thanks. Didn’t know about that.
Hope either the Dunlop or Metzeler will fit ok as there seems to be very little mudguard clearance around the chain guard area. Probably 1/8-1/4”.
It could be prized out lower down but the guard stops it further up.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
Though the Metzeler block C works fairly well on a Comet, a speed limit of 150 Km/h (93Mph) might not be enough for a Rapide.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Though the Metzeler block C works fairly well on a Comet, a speed limit of 150 Km/h (93Mph) might not be enough for a Rapide.
Yes, noticed it was P rated. Same on the Dunlop K70.
Avon SM mkii it is then.

Last edited:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Why do you want to use a Dunlop?
You have an Avon on the front so why not just fit an Avon SM or better still an Avon Roadrider.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Why do you want to use a Dunlop?
You have an Avon on the front so why not just fit an Avon SM or better still an Avon Roadrider.
For a rounder profile and better handling/grip.
Don't know if mixing brands would be a problem.
I emailed Avon regarding the Roadrider:

'Our 4.10-19 AM9 Universal is compatible with your rim and will be fine with a Speedmaster front. Note the AM9 will be 10mm wider than your current tyre and it will also reduce your ride height by approx. 7-8mm.'

Looking at the mudguard clearance I have with the SM, the RR would probably catch.
Lower ride height only an issue when using the D type stand.
Could always back it up on a piece of wood though.