Domiracernick - Inherited Rapide

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
To add to what Bruce says, If you take the clutch off, It can upset the oil seal in the big chain wheel,
So after you put it back , You could have oil get through to the clutch linings,
If left alone and the clutch is dry, It should stay dry.
It will happen one day but try and enjoy a few miles first ?.

There is a youtube , "The mighty garage" Mike T,
It shows a lot on the Vincent, Just to show what goes where, They are Different.
Good luck, Bill.

Domiracernick

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
How are members cleaning there mudguards they look alloy on mine not chromed so will they polish up ?
Yes ive heard about that book and will look out for one cheap ..

To add to what Bruce says, If you take the clutch off, It can upset the oil seal in the big chain wheel,
So after you put it back , You could have oil get through to the clutch linings,
If left alone and the clutch is dry, It should stay dry.
It will happen one day but try and enjoy a few miles first ?.

There is a youtube , "The mighty garage" Mike T,
It shows a lot on the Vincent, Just to show what goes where, They are Different.
Good luck, Bill.
Will be staying excatly where it is then !!!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes, Polish up Super, In the old days and for me still now , Solvol Autosol,
Not too much, Just round and round, Till it dry's out , Then polish cloth.
The whole Bike !!.
I think most of mine are now stainless steel, Which is a bit stronger.

Attachments

• lastscan55_Bill_Thomas (2).jpg
    lastscan55_Bill_Thomas (2).jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 19

a. boozer

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
You can use solvents to remove old tank liners. Do a search on petrol tank liner removal/solvents or similar. Make sure there are no leaks before you have any tank painted and if you buy a new tank unpainted check that it fits properly before painting too. Paint finishes must be ethanol proof. It is also a good idea to have fuel filters in your supply line. My Rapide has never kicked me back in 50,00 miles, set up properly A Vincent is easy to start. Doing your own spanner work will save money is personally very rewarding. If you are not sure about things you will get lots of help on this forum.
Get it going and ride it. The Vincent riding experience is unique and surprisingly good for a bike that is probably 70 years old.
Do you own BigEd TPU362
I owned it during the 70s/early 80s

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You will find it Amazing, I still do,
Maybe later, Get a buffing wheel and the right soaps, On like a grinding wheel machine ,
So any time you have a cover off, You can make it better than New,
Say , Start with the Clutch cover dome ?.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
How are members cleaning there mudguards they look alloy on mine not chromed so will they polish up ?

Will be staying excatly where it is then !!!
This is rear guard flap that was in poor condition lots of dints to get out extra holes to plug and weld and also split edge to weld as you can see in pic of underneath Other pic show how well the Birmabright polishes up as Bill said

Attachments

• A3E38507-8B7D-476D-9751-F7FC75E9CBA1.jpeg
    A3E38507-8B7D-476D-9751-F7FC75E9CBA1.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 18
  • ED09A654-169A-4BD2-BC37-4346F26CD9C5.jpeg
    ED09A654-169A-4BD2-BC37-4346F26CD9C5.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 18