Do I need a refresh?

KennyNUT

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I got the push rods fixed this afternoon ;) with the torch and some squinting. Thanks, gents.

"My spectacles came off :cool: as I am slightly short sighted!"

In all honesty, I thought I had the bottom of the pushrod in the cam follower cup first time round. Clearly, I didn't for the exhaust one which was the one that pinged (!), The inlet one was fine. I used the grease idea from the fantastic Mr D (you know who you are!) which settled the end of the pushrod into the cam follower cup whilst I added the adjuster into the rocker arm. That just helped it enough.

I actually enjoyed the tour around the timing chest and could see where I got the nick on the end of the pushball rod from, I think. The two cam followers for inlet and exhaust valves run right next to one another. Thankfully no damage done. I will order two new pushrods and mark them with a sharpie ("inlet" and "exh" as I will need a tiny bit more adjustability in the exhaust one so that will be an extra 1/16 longer from the VOC spares co. and be done with that worry).

I need to get the bike running this weekend as my daughter is asking for the Xmas tree to go up and I have two bikes occupying that space in the hallway that are giving me room to work in the garage! Xmas is getting in the way of my bikes! Whatever next! :rolleyes:

Thoroughly enjoying my journey and I am a lot happier now, knowing what's inside thy beast.

I hope the thread helps other newbie Comet owners in the future.

I will add a few more images and keep everyone posted along the way, if no-one objects.

"Nearly there, nearly there, nearly there, nearly..........";)

Cheers,

Kenny.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have heard many things about the Vincent timing chest and made many comments from bitter experience myself, but I must confess thats the first time I ever heard 'Swiss watch' mentioned in that context :rolleyes::p:p

KennyNUT

Non-VOC Member
One day I may share what I did to the inside of a Swiss watch once! :D
Ok, so the engineering is for a different purpose but take that cover off and if it was all scaled down??????
Ok, time for me to put those glasses back on!:cool::cool:
Have a great evening. ;)

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Hi Chris,

I was thinking along the same lines, and bought the gasket for this, previously, so I removed it all tonight. Trouble is I didn't know where to start!

View attachment 12121

If someone could write a short idiot's step by step guide to removing the timing plate cover and what to do and not to do, that would be great. I looked at it and thought what if all the cogs fell out! I know they won't (will they :D) but that scared me a little as no-one nearby is likely to be able to help me. I am getting bolder, but I don't want to be stupid and make the most awful error. From what I can see I need to get the timing cover plate off and maybe remove ONLY the dark cog beneath the pushrod tubes? Maybe paint some marks on to match up the teeth (just in case)?

Thanks.

Kenny.
Hey Kenny, this is a slightly irrelevant & irreverent:D comment in the big picture, but those toothed wheels are not cogs. Cogs by definition are "toothed wheels of indiscriminate tooth form". There is nothing indiscriminate about those teeth, they were very scientifically calculated I can assure you;).

nkt267

VOC Member
There is nothing indiscriminate about those teeth, they were very scientifically calculated I can assure you;).
If you had seen the new small idler I got for my Comet you would have called it a cog..When shown to the Spares Co they agreed and all sorted now..We must report poor spares to our suppliers..John

KennyNUT

Non-VOC Member
One must never forget the bigger picture!

.......................or be so slow witted as to forget to reply and agree that"one must never forget the bigger picture!"

Would you have a bigger laugh if I described the ATD as the "red wheel" at the front of the timing chest casing, recently? ;) You can have that one on me :D:D:D

Final re-assembly is slow now due to children's commitments and feeling terrible with the flu! However, NEW pushrods have arrived today together with fresh washers for the timing chest (thanks, spares co), mating surfaces for the timing chest cover and crankcase are spotless and ready to re-assemble.

Where will I get a blanking cap for the chain oiler up at the base and back of the oil tank on the UFM? I will keep the cadmium plated copper tube for another owner in the future, should they want it, however, I would prefer to use a proprietary chain wax and not have oil everywhere :eek: over the frame, rim, tyre etc.

Kenny.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
If you want to leave the T29 fitting in place, you can use a 234 with a suitable disk. If the bike is apart, an A26 plug can be used instead of the T29.

davidd

VOC Member
Kenny,

I think I have blocked the chain oiler off with a spare oil drain plug. If you don't have oil in the crank case it is easy enough to try.

David

nkt267

VOC Member
As Bruce says,use a petrol union nut with a blanking disc if the large union is in place.That's what I did, if you don't have one I can send you one..John