Do I need a refresh?

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Glad to see it's not just me. My Egli has a selection of imperial and metric fasteners, so nomatter how many tools I take out, you can guarantee I've never got the right one (and I hate adjustable spanners), so mobile phone and recovery number is my chosen tool kit.

H

KennyNUT

Non-VOC Member
I guess its not called "the brick" for nothing!

I don't believe the Comet to be a lightweight either, though I may be spoiled with my experience of modern bikes.
I take some heart, Bill, that at least I am not the only one then to concern themselves over reliability, even though you have never been afflicted with a breakdown. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

I decided this afternoon to get my butt into gear and take the head and barrel/piston off this weekend and send to Simon Linford who I only managed to call today when I found myself at home this afternoon nursing a sick daughter. He will assess and let me know its condition. I will have my mate take a look as well, before I send it off and see what he thinks as he has had a few of his bikes in bits, so should be able to point out any obvious short comings.

So I am at least addressing my own trepidation. Time is always in short supply, and money, well as my late mother-in-law used to say " to hell with poverty"!

As a Scotsman, I am not reckless with money, I am just careful where I spend it and Simon seemed "straight up" and provided as much info as he felt he could without seeing what was needing done. We shall discuss any costs before work starts and the VOC Spares company will benefit from the sales of any spares required. I have no objection to any of that, if it fixes the issue and I am happier and the bike runs better.

I will then be wiser about the innards of my Comet :rolleyes: and have had some fun and education along the way!

Additionally, I am sure I will gain some satisfaction over having done some of the disassembly and assembly myself. :) Its not the first job I have done to the Comet and I did feel good about improving the bike, previously. Some of that cost me nothing, some of it cost me "a little more" than nothing.

Ok, fingers-crossed as the weekend is not far away........

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It was only the BMW that never broke down on the road, 49 years on Vin's I think I have a few times !! I even hit Greenford Bridge once !! I have broke a Gold Star Crank Pin, Gearboxes and alsorts. Bill.

KennyNUT

Non-VOC Member
Ouch :eek:. I am glad you lived to tell the tale, Bill!

I think we may have split opinions on the definition of mechanical sympathy!

Appreciate your responses, Kenny.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
My twin smokes on start up but only if it's been run very recently, what I think is happening is when it is stopped oil is running down the front exhaust guide and probably the valve is open so after a while the oil has drained down past the rings so it doesn't smoke, a comet however will stop on compression so both valves will be closed and the oil is trapped above the valve head and so it will smoke every time. If it is not using a lot of oil don't worry about the smoking on start up.
As regards tools I once went touring with a bunch of mates, all of us on triumphs the only one to break down had more tools than I'd ever seen, he had a huge holdall full of stuff even camwheel and crank pinnion pullers, But he hadn't got what I had, a solderless nipple for his broken clutch cable, all I had was that and a split link.
Chris.

KennyNUT

Non-VOC Member
Hey Chris,

I guess when the bike was new to me I did notice some smoke on start up, but that was not every time, so I stopped looking! To be fair I was not very good at the start procedure as I was a complete rookie. :rolleyes: So with practise, I learned how it likes to start. I don't worry about start up now. :)

What prompted me to start this entire thread was the amount of smoke after a 10 miles outward journey with the final stretch a long down hill, followed by a short pull on the throttle to cross the bridge into Morpeth. When I parked up at the Chantry my mate pointed to the exhaust. It was choking with smoke! :eek: 20 minutes later on start up no smoke!o_O

This was on the back of some overrun smoking on a different run pointed out by my other friend, a fellow Vincent owner. I now have a small project with the support of Simon Linford and after Springtime, when I travel a lot with my work, I should have some Summertime to look forward to. And many smoke-free miles, hopefully. :cool:

Everyone has a story to tell on what spares they carry. It reveals what a diverse bunch of Vincent-loving custodians we all are! Have fun.

Cheers, K.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Kenny
Smoking on the overrun could be inlet guide or rings, with the throttle closed you have a high vacuum in the inlet tract and combustion chamber drawing oil in from one or the other. Whatever it is it's the top end, don't now what a head job costs, you may be able to get away with a hone and rings but a rebore and piston isn't too bad.

Chris.

Howard

VOC Member
Hi Kenny, not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but at 10 miles the engine probably isn't up to temperature, and people will tell you it takes 12 miles to circulate all the oil once.

H