Do I need a refresh?

KennyNUT

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
To Bill,
My mates were split on this as well:eek:, suggesting I just enjoy it as it is and the other suggesting perhaps that it could do not harm to have it looked at (local Black Shadow owner). I am of the preventive maintenance frame of mind as I would like piece of mind in terms of reliability, but that's just me! I want to ride the bike more next year and didn't want to give way to any concerns. So if I did a 150 mile run to Scotland, would it leave me stranded? Obviously, I hope not!

Len,
Thanks for your observation and suggestion. What is difficult to see is a"clear" nylon tie that ensures the plug cable is kept away from the exhaust nut. Don't be too hard on yourself, as pointed earlier I clearly could not even subtract 1980 from 2014 to arrive at an answer of 34 years !! :(However, I will take on board your comment and look to reroute, anyway.

Howard,
I smiled when I read your reply. :)Thanks for the last part. I do agree it is not too bad and could be a lot worse. It could have already left me at the side of the road and yet it has not. I know that I have had only a few runs on it and accept the comment about some smoke on start up with some possible sumping between these infrequent jaunts - so totally agree. After arriving in nearby Morpeth (10 miles away) on my most recent run, my mate pointed to the pipe and it looked like a chimney (that was the off throttle run down the hill part from my first post). Though on start up after 20 minutes chatting about it , it didn't smoke. :confused: On the first 39 mile run out, some weeks earlier, the breather for the chain was chucking out a lot of oil, however, I am happy that that has settled down with more regular use. The oil is currently single grade 40, not a multigrade and it was serviced before I took ownership, so no pointing to multigrade as a potential reason, though again I thank you for the suggested cause.

Metering wires have me stumped - forgive me!

Would anyone hazard a guess at the cost if I did the bulk of this work as first as was suggested by MartynG and also the cost if I asked someone to do it all (not because I am lazy or anything, just busy with work and family, one reason for such few runs)!

Thanks, Kenny.

Howard

VOC Member
Ahhhhhhhhhh do you know Murphy's Vincent Law? "Cost expands to fit the wallet available!" Once you get inside it's a case of knowing when to stop.:D

Metering wires fit in the holes of the rocker feed bolts, you'll find lots of posts about them on this site, they'll reduce the oil flow to places where it can be sucked into the cylinder (or exhaust) through the valve guide, not a solution but they may reduce the symptoms.

H

KennyNUT

Non-VOC Member
Super obliged for the education on metering wires. Its amazing what a giveaway the words themselves are! :D

Less familiar with Murphy's Vincent Law, Howard. o_O

However, I am the originator of statute declaring that I am a seeker of mechanical soundness.

In all seriousness :), I would like to be able to travel 1-200 miles in a day on the bike without any concerns and I would like to be able to do that next summer as I do enjoy the bike. I would hate to lose another summer not enjoying it through a breakdown with the engine out. Its full of character, makes lots of noise going nowhere fast and as long as I remember which side the gear shift is when I get on its all good. What is not so good is getting off the Comet after a few rides and hitting the rear brake on my MV thinking subconciously that I am changing gear!:eek:

Albervin

VOC Member
Do you have to add oil after a 100 mile ride? If not then how far do you have to ride before noticing a significant drop in oil level? If it is not chucking oil out in any quantity or burning it then maybe it just needs more exercise. Can you stand on the kick start with a bit of weight and till not move the piston beyond TDC? If it still has decent compression then ride it. To obtain higher speed leave it in 3rd gear longer and fit a 48T rear sprocket. It will take a lot of edge of acceleration though. Once you open it up you will find a lot of reasons to spend more money. I have just completed a rebuild where the engine was basically sound but leaking oil; ooh, that looks worn, I might replace that, mmm I think I will fit the modified seals, and before I knew it that was $1,000 thank you. A Vincent is a remarkably resilient and forgiving machine.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Come on Kenny, Have a Think, It's a 1950 bike !! I would be more worried about the Electrics, Don't stay out after Dark !!. You could spend a ton of money if you wanted, And you could Still breakdown !. If the oil problem does not mess up the plug, My guess would be exhaust valve guide, Try Howards wire first. With a stanard Vin' Always carry a few New spark plugs. My Comet has been smoking for years, I don't have the money to do it, As long as it still goes !!. Enjoy, Bill.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Kenny,
My Comet tops out at around 70 as well, doesn't look near as nice as yours appears to in your photos, drinks oil like a dipsomaniac, marks it's territory like an uber alpha male, and rattles like a coffee can full of wall nuts. But it starts and runs when I ask. I carry a couple of spare plugs. If it isn't fouling plugs and it's safe and reliable I'd ride it. If how ever you can't over come the worry of the smoke on the over run I would undertake the work myself. There is very little if anything more satisfying than knowing you've done the work yourself, it is done right, and it works. The biggest obstacles are your own trepidation, time, and money. The first one is the hardest to over come. Once your past that, the other two fall by the way side.
Steven

KennyNUT

Non-VOC Member
Thanks all, once again.

As stated, I am not so experienced around classics and less than a year of ownership with the Comet. I already carry a backpack on each trip containing 1L 40W oil, nylon ties, carefully selected spanners and a screwdriver, a spark plug socket and several spare plugs, a puncture repair kit and a couple of old rags. Probably just missing some spare cables! This is, I think, a measure of my confidence with old bikes! I am sure with more years, and more importantly, more miles of ownership that will change.

I will work on some of these suggestions and map out a course of action.

Cheers. :cool:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Funny thing is, I never had a mobile phone till I bought a BMW K100, Too heavy to push and too much tricky electrics, But in 10 years it never let me down ! Cheers Bill.