E: Engine disconcerting engine noise...

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
We are working on a C Series Touring Comet and when turning the engine over using the kickstart lever, there is a very disconcerting metal-on-metal noise coming from the engine. See video here:

Does anyone recognize the sound or have any suggestion for what to try?

Thanks in advance!
Your photo seems to show an alloy small idler.I suggest that you replace it with a steel one.The alloy ones wear rapidly and leave flecks of swarf in the teeth of the ATD pinion.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
This is what happens to Alton’s with grease filled gearboxes Which I told the Hamond brothers years ago I modified mine before putting it into service

P1050681.JPG

Drilling into gear box by arrow

P1050624.JPG

Angled hole after drill and tapped 1/4 BSP and harbouring

P1050622.JPG

Made a filling hand plug and then the gearbox dip stick drilling a hole in it and fitted a 60 mm length of Bowden cable so I could use it to check the gear oil in the Alton and has been fitted since 2007 when I came back from the Australian international when I borrowed a "B" Rapide Vincent Van Goughth that I put my original Alton on as he was having problems with a Miller but had done it with oil in the G/box too never had to renew the oil in my "B" since putting it in and its done several km or k miles since

P1000556.JPG

oexing

VOC Member
Now same grease fill to be imagined in a Burman or S.A. gearbox . . . I would never want grease in gearboxes, no matter if mixed with oil. This would not produce any useful splash for reaching all critical places - like in hidden places as in long bushes of output shafts. This exactly is very critical on many classics as the bush and good fit on the main shaft is the only means to keep the output gear bearing from cocking over from chain pull. You´d have to think about some kind of oil circulation in there for flushing any wear out. Else you can bin lubricant changes in these gearboxes, not helpful with grease fills.

Vic

Black Flash

VOC Member
Just to let you know. These Modul 1 gear wheels are quite cheaply and easily available today in steel. They are usually only 10 or 15 mm high, but with a lathe[ how can live without one] it's just a little exercise to press fit them on a hollow shaft and you got a far sturdier, though louder replacement.
Then as Marcus suggested fill the caverty with gearbox oil instead of grease and you are done.

Cheers Bernd