E: Engine disconcerting engine noise...

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That would be #1 on my list. When assembling the timing chest in my Comet, pulsation from the magnets in the Alton didn’t make that noise…. presumably because I was using the original plastic gear and probably less backlash….. it would cause the large steel idler to ring like hell’s bells. Thankfully you can’t hear it with the engine running. Under steady load things settle down, but I wonder about the longevity of the plastic generator gear. With the constant whacking on the teeth, once it starts to create more backlash, my guess would be that the wear would keep accelerating. Probably why the 1/2 time pinion is there in the first place?

oexing

VOC Member
I would not think Altons were a problem on Comets, even with POM gear in the timing side. Not so on twins with the brutal chain drive from the "ESA" . The "forces" from magnet poles are minimal in a running engine. I can hold my 8 pole servo motor/alternator easily with one hand and 200 W loads on them by a few quartz bulbs connected. In a Comet you can have wide teeth on the Alton so "plastic" gears will last a vry long time. So far we have not had reports about failed Altons on Comets I think ?

Vic

greg brillus

VOC Member
Seen it several times.......the issue is the narrow area at the rear......the flange on the shaft is not very wide.......when the gear goes on, the shaft center is just bellow the outer face of the gear where the washer and screw pull it all together, Once the area at the back deforms a little from the screw pulling tight, the grip strength on the shaft is lost and the gear starts to move on the shaft.......If you put a nice hardened washer behind the gear, then this gives a much larger surface area for the faces to grip front and rear........Simples.......Cheers......G.

Black Flash

VOC Member
My Alton POM (?) gear lasted the best part of 400 miles. it was a gear in white plastic. That one got replaced by a black plastic variant. Unfortunately I have not been able to put a lot of miles on the bike since then.

Bernd

oexing

VOC Member
Bernd, it is a big difference in conditions for the plastic gear on a v-twin or the Comet. There is only very modest load on the gear of the Alton, a quarter of a hp at best. And the Alton driven from the timing gears in the Comet should last almost forever. I would definitely NOT want plastic in the chain drive on the v-twins , acting on just one roller track and bashed from the effects of the ESA. So your report concerns most likely the plastic sprocket in a twin ? If not so, I´d be very amazed and unable to come up with a good reason for failure.

Vic

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Well I have had an Alton on my twin for many thousands of miles with the plastic (white) gear. No problems yet. I think the key is to give it sufficient backlash.

Gary

oexing

VOC Member
That is right, at least no load from too much pitch diameter as some growth from the plastic gear has to be dealt with. Again, with POM this effect should be less than with PA (nylon) as it does not absorb water like nylon. So you think all those shredded plastic gears on Alton sprockets were due to loads from faulty geometry ?

Vic

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
So you think all those shredded plastic gears on Alton sprockets were due to loads from faulty geometry ?
I can only guess from the one example I have but maybe so. I have a friend with an Alton on his twin. Next time I speak to him, I'll ask. He rides quite a bit, so his results would be significant. I'll post when I know more.

Gary

bmetcalf

VOC Member
My only experience with Alton sprockets is with a steel one. The only problem was when I didn't secure the little metric (!) bolts and it fell off and mayhem ensued. Now I wire and loctite them.

vibrac

VOC Member
Its not just an Alton Problem the picture from 50 years ago of me and a Lucas sprocket in the August MPH tells the tale:)