H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Disc Brake Conversion with Girdraulics and Kawasaki Parts.

squiggles

Active Forum User
VOC Member
If anyone is thinking of going down this route might I suggest that you look into getting new discs made to fit the Vincent hubs, rather than drilling new holes. Some years ago I was in touch with a VOC member from the English midlands who had had his discs made by a company near to him. Unfortunaltely I have not still got his name or contact details but if he reads this perhaps he will get in touch. They were very nicley made and were made to fit the Vincent wheel perfectly. If enough people were interested then it should be possible to get a batch made and keep the price down.
Hi Norman,
Those brakes look great. If you get a batch made then I'd be interested.
Cheers
Dave

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have fitted the dust enclosures. To make space for the calipers the LH disc required a 5mm spacer, however on the RH side this brought the disc spokes into contact with the speedo drive gear, my solution was to turn most of the braking path off one disc and the centre out of another and rivet them together (ie moving the centre of the disc back 5mm) using stainless rivets.
View attachment 48507
With Brian Chapman's brackets one CAN use the stock speedo drive, even though the instructions say a longer drive is needed, such as one out of a "D". I don't have the specifics at hand but I was able to 'just' use the stock drive and believe I screwed the shaft out as far as it would go. Somer Hooker sent me a "D' that got lost in the mail and I still feel bad about it. Turning the disc down and using the center of another is a lot of work you did a nice job.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With Brian Chapman's brackets one CAN use the stock speedo drive, even though the instructions say a longer drive is needed, such as one out of a "D". I don't have the specifics at hand but I was able to 'just' use the stock drive and believe I screwed the shaft out as far as it would go. Somer Hooker sent me a "D' that got lost in the mail and I still feel bad about it. Turning the disc down and using the center of another is a lot of work you did a nice job.
I bolted them one on top of the other and drilled the rivet holes, then turned them separately before riveting them, the turning wasn't a problem, I trued them in the lathe and cut a lot away with an angle grinder/cutting disc before finishing off, the lathe will take 16"