• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

de rusting the insides of steel tanks

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Hi ,
a while ago some body published a technique for derusting steel tanks using a house hold soda and a battry charger. I did do a print out of the said artical, and now of course can not find it, all help grate fully receved.
stumpy lord.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Hi ,
a while ago some body published a technique for derusting steel tanks using a house hold soda and a battry charger. I did do a print out of the said artical, and now of course can not find it, all help grate fully receved.
stumpy lord.

I originally replied to a query about removing rust internally from tanks having used this method which I picked up from the internet. When I tried it, my battery charger would not work, I think because it has some electonic gubbins in it which shuts it off if it's not seeing the resistance it expects ( I'm guessing here). I got round this by connecting a 12 volt battery in parallel with the tank and connected the charger to the battery. It worked. You might want to try this if you have the same problem.
Regards Mac

stumpy lord

VOC Member
THAT is what I allso found and i am using the same technique, it seems to be working O.K.
thanks
stumpy lord.
I originally replied to a query about removing rust internally from tanks having used this method which I picked up from the internet. When I tried it, my battery charger would not work, I think because it has some electonic gubbins in it which shuts it off if it's not seeing the resistance it expects ( I'm guessing here). I got round this by connecting a 12 volt battery in parallel with the tank and connected the charger to the battery. It worked. You might want to try this if you have the same problem.
Regards Mac

Don McInnes

VOC Member
Molasses works well, 3 to 1 mix is good, so is 20 to 1 only a bit slower, will clean copper brass etc too but check them more frequently, especially things like carburettor bodies and items made of similar material

Warning! This thread is more than 11yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.