de rusting the insides of steel tanks

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi ,
a while ago some body published a technique for derusting steel tanks using a house hold soda and a battry charger. I did do a print out of the said artical, and now of course can not find it, all help grate fully receved.
stumpy lord.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Hi ,
a while ago some body published a technique for derusting steel tanks using a house hold soda and a battry charger. I did do a print out of the said artical, and now of course can not find it, all help grate fully receved.
stumpy lord.

I originally replied to a query about removing rust internally from tanks having used this method which I picked up from the internet. When I tried it, my battery charger would not work, I think because it has some electonic gubbins in it which shuts it off if it's not seeing the resistance it expects ( I'm guessing here). I got round this by connecting a 12 volt battery in parallel with the tank and connected the charger to the battery. It worked. You might want to try this if you have the same problem.
Regards Mac

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Wash out and fill with Molasses and water 3 parts water 1 part Molasses.( 3 to 1) leave for 10 days wash out. there you go clean tank

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
THAT is what I allso found and i am using the same technique, it seems to be working O.K.
thanks
stumpy lord.
I originally replied to a query about removing rust internally from tanks having used this method which I picked up from the internet. When I tried it, my battery charger would not work, I think because it has some electonic gubbins in it which shuts it off if it's not seeing the resistance it expects ( I'm guessing here). I got round this by connecting a 12 volt battery in parallel with the tank and connected the charger to the battery. It worked. You might want to try this if you have the same problem.
Regards Mac

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Wash out and fill with Molasses and water 3 parts water 1 part Molasses.( 3 to 1) leave for 10 days wash out. there you go clean tank

G'day David, hope all is well with you, Do you know the technicalities of this method? sounds interesting.

Regards
Kevin

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
A old man of the sea told me this is the way they derusted rusty parts on ships

Last edited:

Don McInnes

VOC Member
Molasses works well, 3 to 1 mix is good, so is 20 to 1 only a bit slower, will clean copper brass etc too but check them more frequently, especially things like carburettor bodies and items made of similar material