Dan Smith's Latest Project

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Today we ran Dan Smith's latest project on the Dyno to get the fueling and ignition dialled in. This run was one of about 30 full RPM pulls on an eddy current dyno. The engine is a homebuilt Series A twin engine with crank pins on a centre disk so it fires at 90 degrees. The fuel injection, and electronics are from an SV650 Suzuki, The starter is an HD sportster bendix drive engaging a gear inboard of the clutch. Forks are Suzuki Marauder shortened 5 inches and mounted in Roadholder look-a-like triple trees. Hubs are replica Manx and the frame a featherbed ex John . McDougall Triton. Gearbox of course is Norton

This run was a 3 rd gear pull to 5500 RPM about 1/2 way through the tuning process but still pulled 100MPH. In the end it made around 45 crank hp at about 4000 and didn't change to 5500. Most impressive was 50 ft lb torque at about 4000. That's V twin grunt!

Robert Watson

VOC Member
The guy has been running bikes on dynos for 30 years, anything with electronics from 250 screamers to big inch Harleys, said that was the most fun he ever had. In about an hour and a half pulled 5-6000 RPM probably 30 times. Dan tried to talk me into taking my A twin there, but I was pretty much against it, then he said, well the same guy did the crank on both of them! Nah, still a firm no!

Robert Watson

VOC Member
It was raining on dyno day so I haven't been able to confirm the sizing yet although it does look a little tall for Dan, and it's not a particularly light beast either!