Dan Smith's Latest Project

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This is the most interesting lump of metal. No nuts, 15 ton press on assembly and spun past 5500 RPM with less stress than that which was applied to the owner!
Smith crank.jpg

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Not sure what the frame was originally from. John McDougall had a 500 Triumph twin engine in it and raced it that way back in the day. I don't believe Dan modified the frame and the forks were adapted to go in the stock steering head. He did make a new swing arm. There is a picture in next month's MPH.

Viny4

VOC Member
Same trail and fork length as Domy. The trans is in stock position with the engine squeezed in, leaving enough room for the exhaust pipe to clear the front down tube. Primary chain is the same length as my A +twin.The frame is stock with the exception of a small cutaway on the top right rail to clear front intake rocker cover. The bike is very smooth up to 67 mph when a vibration starts. I balanced each 1/2 of the 270 deg. crank at 67%. Looks like it'll come apart some day to raise the balance factor. Neat riding bike at this point. I need more miles on it but our good riding weather in nearing an end for this year.