Misc: Stands D type stand removal

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Could be. On the right side, the footrest doesn't move even with the nut undone.
Hasn't been taken off much like the left side.
I'll compare the two sides to see if the taper is different.
That's just the taper doing it's job,
The very outside of the tubes sometime nip up on the stud, Need a tap with a soft hammer,
To get off.
I have seen the tubes made out of steel, But a lot are alloy.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I've just been back and checked the F51/4. There should be a flat on the front of it as well as a pin to stop it rotating. The flat will but up against the back of the dynamo cover eventually. It seems to me that it has to be the tapers not matching and letting the footrest rotate.

danno

Non-VOC Member
I've just been back and checked the F51/4. There should be a flat on the front of it as well as a pin to stop it rotating. The flat will but up against the back of the dynamo cover eventually. It seems to me that it has to be the tapers not matching and letting the footrest rotate.
Thanks for checking.
Yes, except in this case, the pin isn't there.
Seems to be flush and not protruding.
F51/4 only rotates 1/8" due to the flat against the dynamo cover so isn't really a problem.
Just trying to detach F51/5 from.the footrest on the other side. It's really gripped on there even with it off the bike.

Attachments

• 20230421_163131.jpg
    20230421_163131.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230421_163016.jpg
    20230421_163016.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 6

danno

Non-VOC Member
Off now and they are different. Not sure if the longer F51/4 is original or if it's part of the D stand kit that was added in the 90's.
No locating pin as mentioned.

Attachments

• 20230421_164903.jpg
    20230421_164903.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 2

danno

Non-VOC Member
Push the pin out from the back side to have it do its job. Without it, the flat puts force on the crankcase, so not good.
Thanks. Yes, I'll try and do that although can't see an easy way just yet.
The footrest does grip fine on F51/4 without the stand on but still rotates a little due to the lack of pin.

Just taking a bit off the width of the stand/bushing should allow the footrest to grip properly.
So basically two reasons for the problem. No pin and stand restricting the grip.