E: Engine D T I Holder

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My tools were Easy to make and cheap.
Quite a few of my shop-made tools were not easy to make. As just one of many possible examples, the following required machining and welding to fabricate.

ValveOpener.jpg

Not many people want to hold a DTI so they can measure the air flow on a DBD Gold Star head as a function of valve opening, but such a tool is essential for someone who does.

LoneStar

VOC Member
More for the sake of avoiding my own confusion than to benefit future generations, I place each special tool in a zip-loc bag, and write a description of its use on the bag with a marker.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I place each special tool in a zip-loc bag, and write a description of its use on the bag with a marker.
I do that as well, especially for separate items that work together to form the tool. But, some things don't fit in a baggie (crankshaft truing stand, jig for machining Gold Star timing cover, plates used for separating a crankshaft, etc.).

Alyson

VOC Member
You made me think. I sat here staring at the screen thinking, what if I meet my demise ? I know who'll be here to sort things out but does he
know where to look and what to look for ? The stash of factory '20s, '30s, and '40s Harley tools in an old big black wooden chest hidden out of the way ? My BMW pre /2 - /7 tools are easy to see hanging on the wall, hopefully identifiable as is. I'll have to tell him about the three tool boxes full of factory tools as well. Vincent tools, not too many thus far, but really everything is mostly together save the spare room full of parts... I guess I should just tell someone where it's all at, or, maybe I shouldn't. In the end, as long as it all goes to a good home, I'll be fine with that.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
what if I meet my demise ?
Unfortunately, for all of us it's not if, it's when. Going to a good home is an admirable wish but, absent a plan, the trash dump is the most likely destination for unidentifiable tools and spares, with complete bikes fated to be sold for pennies on the dollar because, as our heirs will be told, they're old and obsolete so nearly worthless.

Shop-made tools are of current interest since I'm just switching from working on a crankshaft, to assembling an engine, and I spent much of today putting the crankshaft special tools away. I also painted a number of larger special tools to keep me from mistaking them for pieces of metal I could use for other purposes. This also will keep my heirs from saying to themselves "I wonder what these pieces of metal are," and instead saying "I wonder why he painted all these pieces of metal gold" (NB. they're special tools for Gold Stars... hmm, I wonder what color I should paint the tools for my Black Shadow?).

Richard Beard

VOC Member
I think this is a real concern.
About 12 years ago I bought a BSA project from a guy who lives about 50 miles from me.
He is about 25 years younger than me and we became firm friends.
Such good friends in fact that he and his family have the free use of our beach house for a week each year and my wife and I are invited to his family events---daughters graduating etc etc.
I have talked openly to him and my family about the situation when I have gone to that motorcycle workshop in the sky and detailed what is what and where things are.
I have complied a database of my bikes with all the relevant details--- date, make, model, date purchased, price paid, title status etc etc and I am religious about keeping it up to date.
That is my attempt to try to create an almost orderly situation for when I am no longer around.
Not perfect and I am sure others have other, probably better, ideas.
Just my two cents worth of course.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have no idea what to do with most of my stuff, my two sisters like my bikes, but only in a "that looks nice" way and are far more wealthy then us, I have two nephews who are round about 30 years old, one of whom studied "engineering" but neither has ever even been to our place, a journey of 3 miles !!
My other half only has a brother and niece she has not seen in decades.
I have few friends these days and none of them are at all young.

Things like the Vincents and Broughs I wondered about leaving to their respective clubs for vehicle less members to use, but all the other bikes and stuff I have no idea what to do about.

fogrider

VOC Member
Chris, if I was young enough I would happily take over your workshop and bikes. It's amazing ! What can't be sold is your skill and ingenuity.

A good friend of mine died of a massive heart attack before Xmas. Ex military PT instructor, ex Police motorbike squad . Way fitter than me. Anyway, during a long retirement he amassed a large workshop full of equipment and goodies. His widow asked me what could be done with it all ? I told her to let the local auctioneers collect it, they will sort it and call the auction " Contents of a gentlemans workshop ". Name some of the cars/ motorbikes he had and you have a busy sale . I've been to two over the years and bought nothing as other people have bid too high ! Sure , some lots will go for nothing, but at least it's gone and good items will be in use by others, not wasted.

vibrac

VOC Member
As for knowing what tools are for, try the google picture search
I needed a part for my grey import trail bike (a Yamaha Serrow) some plastic part broke I took a picture of it fitted together, did a google picture search and found an identical - same Yamaha moped part available in UK.
I guess that chat GPT would also make an informed guess if it was given picture recognition. That AI is not all its cracked up to be though, I gave it a test over the holidays I asked it "How do I fit a Vincent Cylinder head?" as expected it did quite well but it did assume there was a head gasket!
Try it out on something you have a lot of knowledge about the result will either amaze or amuse you.
As for my demise I sold my road twin to my son for £1 he changed it into the Goodwood racer , Best sale I ever did

powella

Non-VOC Member
My tools were Easy to make and cheap. And it made it easier to change My camshaft without taking the bike into Parts .working against the valve springs is Not good. If the tools end up in the bin , who cares? Erik
Quite right - I agree HOWEVER the holder was made from scrap so pass it back to the scrap bin OR pass it on with the machine.
It will only fit in certain places BUT someone could screw it into the Exhaust port thread and then try and figure out what is was for !!!.