crankcase studs

metal bits

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
hi i am making a set of crankcase bolts and studs for a twin does any body know what they are
made of something that wont stretch to easily but will machine easily
steel ore stainles steel

metal bits

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Jan, Om het makkelijk te draaien kun je werkstof nummer 1.2311 gebruiken dat is verdeled en met een beetje zwavel erin voor't verspanen, of SKF ETG 100 staal (van Ovako) is ongeveer hetzelfde spul. Wij gebruiiken het ook veel. maar niet zo dun
grtn
Vincent

Google suggests this translation:
"John, To turn easily, you can use that work material number 1.2311 is verdeled and with a little sulfur to voor't machining, or SKF steel ETG 100 (of Ovako) is about the same stuff. We gebruiiken the lot. but not so thin
grtn
Vincent"

Last edited by a moderator:

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I'm about to make a set , not interested in strenght- will do them in polished stainless-they will look like "a tanner in a sweeps ass"

van drenth

VOC Member
Roy, I don't advice to make them from stainless because stainless is not a material you can trust regarding the pre-stress needed to keep yor cilinder heads under torque.
Regards, van Drenth JC

vibrac

VOC Member
I read the original post as studs and bolts for the crankcase 5/16 stuff not head bolts I dont think the original spec for those small studs and bolts was anything exotic (but I dont know) all I know is when I stripped a well raced engine I found all the crankcase studs wasted in the time honoured manner and they look and cut like EN1A and they had had a hard life

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
5/16" wire. Have a set made of wire that has been in the Norvin for 33 years and over 200,000 miles.

Phelps