Crankcase Joint-Prep and sealing

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Loctite Resinol, is vacuum impregnate material, as are pretty well all methods of this reclamation.
Porosity in aluminium castings is normally due to incorrect temperature. Mostly too hot.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Pourous alloy castings don't have to be a problem, according to the Indian man, Micah Mc Closkey- degrease carefully, paint the insides with Rustoleum red lead primer-end of trouble. Every Jaguar gearbox I have rebuilt-it runs into hundreds was painted in this fashion. Never,ever did one leak! It works for Royal Oilfeilds, so it must be a good trick!

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
The only place I've ever seen Vincent crankcases leak is at the joints. Porous as they are the porosity doesn't connect to make holes! I'd machine .030" out of the wall of the inside of a muff to fit oversize liners and the oil would
still be oozing out with the cutting. Yup, porous alright. Most likely cast from whatever scrap they could lay their hands on.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Oh, I forgot to mention that the Jags were painted when new..... getting these things clean enough would take some doing..... I think a 48 hour soak in sulfuric acid would end the worry.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
The very early Series Bs were cast from ingots from melted down Rolls Royce aircraft motors , very pure beautiful metal , after which everything else went into the melting pot . My own B Rap no. 275 had lovely castings , the metal more like Platinum in color .
I built it up to Shadow power , carbs , manifolds , 8 to ones . Lovely runner . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Immediately after the war ceased the Brits melted down a great number of Spitfire engine cases into billets . Vincent just then ramping up Series B production started with this prime grade aluminum . I have this stated in a book .
Rip laughs it off but I doubt he has all the related books that I possess . Sid .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Sid, I really was not making light or what you said: honest.... and the German Zep frame material formula was a secret for a long time. Good stuff!
Indeed, Spits and their Merlins were melted and used.... and if that was all that was melted that would be good. But, and it's a big but: what else did they throw in there to
make a casting batch? So I was serious about the Zep and not poking fun. The Germans were really way ahead of us on blending alloys..... and when we'd get their formula
somehow: we'd use it. For all I know the material in a Spit was German inspired..... especially pistons!

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
The very early Series Bs were cast from ingots from melted down Rolls Royce aircraft motors , very pure beautiful metal , after which everything else went into the melting pot . My own B Rap no. 275 had lovely castings , the metal more like Platinum in color .
I built it up to Shadow power , carbs , manifolds , 8 to ones . Lovely runner . Sid .
Then you have to remember that those Spitfires were created from the aluminium saucepans that were collected from us in 1939.