Crank Case Inspection

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member

greg brillus

VOC Member
You can buy replica Ceriani brake plates on their own to replace the Gremica ones. If you opt for the Magnesium plates they will make the whole brake assembly way lighter too, as well as far bigger intake scoops for extra cooling. Look up caferacersuspension on the net.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello greg, Do you think it's safe to use Mag' Plates ?, Brother Ron is doing a project on a Twin , Laid up since the 60s !!, I thought they might be too dangerous /, Never seen them before. cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Bill, the ones I am talking about are brand new .....Same as the complete replica one I used on the racer. Used last weekend after pulling near 140 mph down the straight at Eastern creek racetrack. The brake performed very well, so these plates would work fine on the Gremica hub. Only thing is, I don't think it has any provision for a speedo drive. Cheers...........Greg.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I have a pair of those plates with shoes but no levers. I bought them from Carl Hungness about 6 years ago for no particular reason. They were cheap. Anyway they are exactly what you need.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Vibrac, I tried both of those outfits 6 months ago when the accident happened. One responded to the negative, the other didnt respond at all.
Greg, I suspect you are right, no speedo drive, although that said, the speedo drive side is OK.
Bill, what Mg plates does your brother have?Like most metals, there are a number of different Mg alloys, some survive better than others over time. It is usually corrosion which compromises their strength or integrity & that should be visible & easily identified as a powdery accumulation on the surface. My objection to Mg alloys is the way they change size & shape over time. As an aircraft machinist I had the misfortune of having to reclaim Mg components, Alison gearbox housings & RR engine casings mostly. Clocking accurate datums was always a drag. Our friends at RR added radio active thorium to their Mg which of course made them H&S friendly as well, not!
The Mg brake plates may have moved few thou, the shoes may no longer be square or true to the drum. Try them, apply the brakes gently & if they work smoothly keep working them harder in safe circumstances until you are confident that there are no untoward reactions, shuddering, squealing, lever pulsing etc. If they are good, use them.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Roy, The Brake feels OK in the Yard, We have not stripped it out yet, It's not our bike and because the new rider is not a Vin' man, It might be too risky ??.
Seems strange to me, That they should use something that has an age problem ?, When the Frame and Engine are so long lasting.
Cheers bill.

flxible

VOC Member
Pushrod-
Did you ever put together/post your comprehensive list of inspection criteria, dimensions & tolerances for inspecting crankcases in preparation for assembly that you had started writing?
If so, could you direct me to it?
And if not, know there's interest in seeing/reading it, so please do post!
Best-
George