Congrats to BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A few years ago the story went around that Dave was nearing 230 when he hit a piece of metal debree on the course , pitched him over the bars and he rolled a long way doing himself no good , required 7 pins to stitch him back together . But on with the story , after he was flung off the bike continued on down the course leaving him knocked out lying on the salt . The race officials thought he was still on the Vincent and launched a race car down the course in the same direction . Dave came to just moments before the vehicle reached where he was lying on the salt , he managed to roll aside just in time missing being struck .
He was patched up and the following year was out there back at it again . In a class by himself this guy .
Spoke with him many times over the years and his speech is very slow and laconic , sounding like a Gary Cooper movie character . One cool and very brave guy . Never wanted to let anyone else pilot his machine lest they be injured .
His records were set using one of his smaller motors , about 1632 cubic inches .
Dave first built a 3 motor machine , then a 2 motor , actually tried these on the street ! Later went to a single motor . When he went in the Service he took the machine with him and got permission to work on it in a hanger while off duty .
There's only ONE Dave Matson . Broke the mold on birth he did . Sid .

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
It was still garage made and tested. No billion dollar facility. I doubt if BMW doubled the size it would go as fast. It sits too high and I think Dave is more aerodynamic. BMW riders don't have the talent to go any faster, they lack the necessary testosterone. The fact remains, it is the fastest Vincent ever and it was done using original castings, vincent gearbox and a vincent clutch. One person designed and built a current record holder with 60 year old parts. Pretty impressive. Instead of the boring "World's Fastest Indian", they should have made the "World's Fastest Vincent" Now that's entertainment...

What about those of us who own BMW's and Vincents? Also cannot think of too many bikes that will comfortably travel 750,000 Kilometres without even removing the head, mine did over 350,000 and never even had to replace any valve shims?

Bracker1

VOC Member
No talent is required to open full the throttle of 200 hp and let the computer manage all aspects of control. BMW makes incredibly ugly machines. Owners typically ride great distances as justification for owning these turds. Unfortunately, I own a K1000RS and must look at it. Riding the bike is about exciting as a carbuncle. Cheers

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Bracker, Have you seen what Vibrac and son Ben did with their K100, Very Nice, Sorry I had to let mine go, A very early, Worn out K100, But was very fast and built like a brick toilet !! Went on forever !! Cheers Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
No talent is required to open full the throttle of 200 hp and let the computer manage all aspects of control. BMW makes incredibly ugly machines. Owners typically ride great distances as justification for owning these turds. Unfortunately, I own a K1000RS and must look at it. Riding the bike is about exciting as a carbuncle. Cheers

Bracker, I think a certain amount of talent is essential when sitting astride 200 bhp, nomatter what sort of computer is controlling it.
Strangely, there are people out there who can't understand why we want to ride ugly, old, smelly, unreliable, uncomfortable museum exhibits. Not sure where your anti BMW venom comes from, but these are the sort of comments that have got the VOC a reputation for being elitist snobs. If you hate the bike so much get rid of it, I'm sure there's a Vincent hater somewhere who'd love to take it off your hands - you might have to change your description of it when you advertise it for sale though.

H

ps I had a BMW K100LT that was the most uncomfortable bike I've ever owned, so I'm not a BM fan.

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member

That is as stupid as saying that a drag racer OR land speed racer only has to point it in a straight line and hang on, BTW don't John Renwick and many others have Electronics such as Automatic/air driven gear change etc on their VINCENTS?

And I think it DOES take Kahoonies (testosterone) to point anything with 200 hp down a few miles of bumpy/windblown Salt Flats with only two tiny bits of rubber making contact with SALT!!!

And who in their right mind is going to say "Hmmm I think I will ride a couple of hundred thousand miles to justify paying $30+K for my "turd". Maybe, just maybe they thought I want to RIDE (cos that is what i love to do, and what bikes were made for) thousands of miles without breaking down or crashing from mechanical failure, ....just a thought :)
I did 50,000K's a year for 7 years on my first BMW.....never a problem :)

Red

vibrac

VOC Member
Hello Bracker, Have you seen what Vibrac and son Ben did with their K100, Very Nice, Sorry I had to let mine go, A very early, Worn out K100, But was very fast and built like a brick toilet !! Went on forever !! Cheers Bill.

Thanks Bill
Little of that praise is due to me, a second opinion and a little machining the rest is Bens achievment few could win at a first race meeting on a bike built by themselves let alone one hewn from a touring model with 40000 miles without a decoke under its belt (he must at least re-grind the valves this season)
see www.bskspeedworks.co.uk

Vince Farrell

VOC Member

I’m surprised members take this kind of posting seriously and respond, it’s obviously the well practiced `wind up’ used on many forums.
It’s also the reason why many people regard forums as childish.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Talking of hanging on, Did you see that youtube of a poor bloke on a very quick drag bike, As he went over the line, + 200mph, The wind got under his left hand and blew him off, The bike went straight on, But he was killed, Not good, Cheers Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.