• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Comet vin numbers

benly60

New Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
Hello I'm trying to identify the vin numbers on an elderly friends Comet. Front frame is RC.1.18840.C Rear frame is RC.1.9520 Engine number F5AB/2A/4255 Gearbox G97F50 Any help greatly appreciated. cheers....Simon.

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Simon,

The engine gearbox units are from 1950, but the 2 x frames are from 2 different donor Comets probably both of 1951 vintage.
By the way, I suspect you have one too many 'figure ones' in your first frame number. It probably should read RC/1/8840/C.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: SERIES 'A' Front Frame

Howard

VOC Member
Have a look on thevincent.com website. That should give you a starting point.

H

benly60

New Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
Hello I'm trying to identify the vin numbers on an elderly friends Comet. Front frame is RC.1.18840.C Rear frame is RC.1.9520 Engine number F5AB/2A/4255 Gearbox G97F50 Any help greatly appreciated. cheers....Simon.
Simon,

The engine gearbox units are from 1950, but the 2 x frames are from 2 different donor Comets probably both of 1951 vintage.
By the way, I suspect you have one too many 'figure ones' in your first frame number. It probably should read RC/1/8840/C.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: SERIES 'A' Front Frame
Thankyou Peter. I knew it's was built up but didn't know what was what. It's quite a nice bike and is currently for sale here in Australia. Good luck with the Series A front frame. Hens teeth I suspect. All the best.

Albervin

VOC Member
There is also a Comet, non matching numbers, at the Shannons auction in Sydney on Monday.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Peter, I am sure you would have thought about it, But what about a New !! frame from Aus', Could you use your rear frame number to register it ? Cheers Bill.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Hello Peter, I am sure you would have thought about it, But what about a New !! frame from Aus', Could you use your rear frame number to register it ? Cheers Bill.

Bill, Thanks for trying to help! Unfortunately, the original rear frame came (from Canada) with the number ground off. I have the skills to cast/machine/tube/braze a new front frame myself, but add that to the NEW crankcases and the VOC would be unable to help and the DVLA would have apoplexy, blow a fuse and probably self-destruct (hmmm, there's a happy thought….).

What I want is a historic tax disc; I have no wish for a modern plate or Q-Plate. With an original front frame, I'll have a complete Series 'A' with mostly original parts with the exception of the crankcase. A Series 'A' logbook from a deceased machine would be a great help too! Anyone?

Thanks for the thought though, Bill.

Peter B
Bristol, UK
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame

Warning! This thread is more than 8yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.