Comet vin numbers

benly60

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello I'm trying to identify the vin numbers on an elderly friends Comet. Front frame is RC.1.18840.C Rear frame is RC.1.9520 Engine number F5AB/2A/4255 Gearbox G97F50 Any help greatly appreciated. cheers....Simon.

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Simon,

The engine gearbox units are from 1950, but the 2 x frames are from 2 different donor Comets probably both of 1951 vintage.
By the way, I suspect you have one too many 'figure ones' in your first frame number. It probably should read RC/1/8840/C.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: SERIES 'A' Front Frame

benly60

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello I'm trying to identify the vin numbers on an elderly friends Comet. Front frame is RC.1.18840.C Rear frame is RC.1.9520 Engine number F5AB/2A/4255 Gearbox G97F50 Any help greatly appreciated. cheers....Simon.
Simon,

The engine gearbox units are from 1950, but the 2 x frames are from 2 different donor Comets probably both of 1951 vintage.
By the way, I suspect you have one too many 'figure ones' in your first frame number. It probably should read RC/1/8840/C.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: SERIES 'A' Front Frame
Thankyou Peter. I knew it's was built up but didn't know what was what. It's quite a nice bike and is currently for sale here in Australia. Good luck with the Series A front frame. Hens teeth I suspect. All the best.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Peter, I am sure you would have thought about it, But what about a New !! frame from Aus', Could you use your rear frame number to register it ? Cheers Bill.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Hello Peter, I am sure you would have thought about it, But what about a New !! frame from Aus', Could you use your rear frame number to register it ? Cheers Bill.

Bill, Thanks for trying to help! Unfortunately, the original rear frame came (from Canada) with the number ground off. I have the skills to cast/machine/tube/braze a new front frame myself, but add that to the NEW crankcases and the VOC would be unable to help and the DVLA would have apoplexy, blow a fuse and probably self-destruct (hmmm, there's a happy thought….).

What I want is a historic tax disc; I have no wish for a modern plate or Q-Plate. With an original front frame, I'll have a complete Series 'A' with mostly original parts with the exception of the crankcase. A Series 'A' logbook from a deceased machine would be a great help too! Anyone?

Thanks for the thought though, Bill.

Peter B
Bristol, UK
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame