H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Comet rear Sprocket advice please

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
1950 Comet, trying to sort it out, starts easily, runs well but needs a chain and rear sprocket, I have a 46 tooth one
would anyone know if it will be OK or far too high geared.
Appreciate any views on this, thank you.
Kerry

vibrac

VOC Member
Depends on your state of tune
To be fair my 600 Comet is quite OK on 48 and sometimes I feel even that 'lugs' to much I have used a 46 when I borrowed one from my twin but did find it high

kerry

VOC Member
Tuned about normal if there is such a thing, sounds like it may be too high geared then with 46 tooth, I am under 11 Stone with no pillion passenger and not rushing about but maybe that will not make much difference.
Appreciate your view as usual, thanks.

kerry

VOC Member
I guess I need to put the 46T back on a shelf then.
Many thanks.
Kerry.

vibrac

VOC Member
If I had to get a sprocket and a chain I would go the whole hog and go 1/4" chain its lighter and its what the racing Comet used for years

kerry

VOC Member
Maybe, but, I have a large roll of old but unused genuine English made Renhold chain to use up

kerry

VOC Member
I was offered a flat unopened box for £50, bought it blind then realised what it was, stamped very small, Renhold made in England, as you say much better than modern stuff, will come in handy for more than just the Comet of course.

twobyfour

VOC Member
I was offered a flat unopened box for £50, bought it blind then realised what it was, stamped very small, Renhold made in England, as you say much better than modern stuff, will come in handy for more than just the Comet of course.
Are you sure that it is motorcycle chain? Renold made chains for all kinds of applications, most of which would be unsuitable for motorcycles.