Comet Oil Use

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just what cap is that 3/4 inch pipe stuck into/onto?

M

Front cap exhaust on a single road and racer
front cap on road twin
front and rear inlet on twin racer (two Pcv valves and pipe mostly hidden under tank
IMPORTANT fit pcv valves on an up sweep from cap before horizontal and down sweep of pipe

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Rather than burning or loosing the oil, I am trying to find a way to have it returned to the motors oil system

M

Hi Martyn, my Beemer using the air/pressure scavenge system? of PCV and uses no oil ever, has anyone determined why some Vins blow no oil and some blow a lot (all other engine conditions being equal) Haven't you recently rebuilt the engine and therefore should have virtually no combustion chamber pressure blow-by to add to normal air displacement? I don't know of other big singles having this problem either (please correct me if wrong) Regards Kevin

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Hi Martyn, my Beemer using the air/pressure scavenge system? of PCV and uses no oil ever, has anyone determined why some Vins blow no oil and some blow a lot (all other engine conditions being equal) Haven't you recently rebuilt the engine and therefore should have virtually no combustion chamber pressure blow-by to add to normal air displacement? I don't know of other big singles having this problem either (please correct me if wrong) Regards Kevin
I think Howard nailed it in an earlier post when he suggested that the outlet of the timed breather was working against me by allowing excessive oil to get into the breather pipes. Clearly if the breather outlet (at the motor end) is in an ideal position little if any oil will get into it. I am still seeking to locate a suitable "elephant Trunk" as these mount over the ATD where a vortex, created by the spinning ATD keeps oil out of the breather path. In the interim, I just keep loosing then adding oil. Oh well! As to blow by - I believe there is almost none in my motor (the rebuild was 4 months and 3,000 MILES back), the problem is the fluctuating pressure in the crank case caused by the fall and rise of the piston. M

davidd

VOC Member
As to blow by - I believe there is almost none in my motor (the rebuild was 4 months and 3,000 MILES back), the problem is the fluctuating pressure in the crank case caused by the fall and rise of the piston. M

I know that I am micturating into a breeze here, but "believing" and "knowing" are two different states. It is easily measured and establishes a great baseline.

David

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi MartynG, I really do not want to seem to be rude but ask yourself what is different in your engine from the engines in many other Comets! By all means add tubes to tubes to breather valves to feedback tubes etc. etc. ad nauseam if that is what you would prefer to do rather than look in the engine and find out what is wrong but be sure that there is something wrong. Of course many people have fitted elephant trunk breathers but many have not and do not suffer from your bike's incontinence. As davidd writes knowing and believing are different. I might believe that there are fairies at the bottom of my garden but knowing that they are there is a very different thing. Have a look and let us know what you find; broken rings, tapered bore or whatever. You will find something is wrong.