Comet Inspection/Repair after 10,000miles

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Comet has ben faithful for 10,000 miles (actually 9992) and I put it up on the lift and rear stand for service and inspection. Moving/rotating the rear wheel back and forth produced a squeak and I thought the rear wheel bearings were about to fail, but on closer listening, the squeak was from the Burman 18T gearbox sprocket. Removed the chain guard and could see a spacer behind the sprocket intermittently move and this was the squeak! Dam, I have to pull the primary, clutch, oil lines, battery, foot pegs, gearbox and more....so I did.
I found the 18T sprocket loose, the big sprocket nut was on as required and lock tabbed, but the spacer behind the sprocket that butts the bearing and seals the gearbox was loose, sprocket loose , nut loose.
This was a fantastically wonderful thing !
I also found my PD7 crank/ESA nut was coming off and had just started machining the inside of the primary!
ESA springs PD6/PD27 littering the bottom of the primary drive. Yikes!
All fixable, but my question is - What PD parts do I need to convert this Comet to D lock tab PD7/2?
Cheers
Craig
MO93.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Followup - I had used blue med Loctite on my PD7 at zero miles along with lightly used impact rattle gun.....and thought it would not be coming off.
Not sure about Burman big nut and Locktite use. The big nut appears to be 2-1/32AF and a socket this large for impact use does not fit in the sprocket recess!
So I am machining a 2-1/16 socket (all I could find - 3/4 drive) to fit this sprocket recess.

craig

VOC Member
I just read Torque thread. I don't know why I didn't read it first. So KTB says I would need
PD3/3
PD5/2
PD4/2
PD35
PD7/2
and all the springs.
I thought I could reuse my PD4 and PD3/2....(whining)Why not?

craig

VOC Member
Every now and then I look for fifth gear on this Comet.........so I have wondered about a 19T Burman sprocket.
Anyone have experience with 19T?
BurmanGearboxView1.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Craig, Why not use a 46 rear sprocket, Then if like me you change your mind !, You can easy change back, Cheers Bill.

clevtrev

VOC Member
One thing you need to do, is make sure the spacer between the bearing and the sprocket, on the Burman is hardened, normally they are soft, so if there is any movement there the thing collapses, and leads to further woe.

craig

VOC Member
One thing you need to do, is make sure the spacer between the bearing and the sprocket, on the Burman is hardened, normally they are soft, so if there is any movement there the thing collapses, and leads to further woe.
Thanks Trev, Where do i get a hardened spacer? I am sure I got all pieces thru VOC spares.
Cheers
Craig