E: Engine Comet for the 2020's

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
checking again on Britespark it looks like both those machines were also ATD jobs so no manual end caps
and yes whitakerpedia does have some data http://www.voc.uk.com/net/docs/7.3/7.3-89-18.pdf but is from the halcyon days when you could buy a Lucas Part No. 458726-B3 off the shelf. I guess nowadays cost wise you would be half way to a BT-H , I think I will start with an ATD. Anyway its some way off I have just sent the head off to have a second 14mm plug hole added (For my decompression valve -though at 7.3 I may not need it)

Tim,
On my parts shelf is a manual A/R end cap for a K1F if you are interested???

Neil

vibrac

VOC Member
As I start this refurbishment project I thought you might like to see the stand I use to build my Comets on. This will be the third build I have done on this stand which is bolted on my hydraulic work platform. I had had enough of blocking engines and altering clamps as I added wheels and components or raised and lowered the platform. when its all complete I just block up to the wheels, lower the platform, unbolt and remove the stand sides and wheel the bike off
upload_2017-11-8_9-40-54.png

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
As I start this refurbishment project I thought you might like to see the stand I use to build my Comets on. This will be the third build I have done on this stand which is bolted on my hydraulic work platform. I had had enough of blocking engines and altering clamps as I added wheels and components or raised and lowered the platform. when its all complete I just block up to the wheels, lower the platform, unbolt and remove the stand sides and wheel the bike off
View attachment 17758
does "she" know you've got her curtains in the workshop?;)

vibrac

VOC Member
I have bitten the bullet and following Hadronuk's advice on damper and springs I have purchased an AVO coil over unit for the rear end. To complete the exercise and keep the seat height to a minimum (I hate tall bikes) I will jack up the rear end with unit sans spring and close full bump mudguard to seat (fully sprung) to a finger of space. To assist that I have decided to lower the alloy guards as befits the 18" wheels (originally fitted to accommodate the trials tyres when I had the Trials sidecar on the Comet) and that will also have a double benefit of reducing the unsightly space between tyre and guard (front and back) of course that's not just a case of shortening the stays you also need to reduce the curvature of the mudguard fortunately there is some good advice on how to do that on the Vincent Spares web site http://new.vincentspares.co.uk/tech.html the guards are a bit battered as well so its time to cadge some time on my car mates English wheel.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I would like a lower seat but then the footrests would need dropping, they're a bit high now as my short legs don't want to bend like they used to, forward footrests would look out of place on a Vincent I think.

timetraveller

VOC Member
One thing to be wary of is that the bump stop on the AVO is very resistant to slight forces. If you do what you suggest then ensure that either you have left more space than you expected or that you somehow fully compress the damper, including all the bump stop movement. They are tough little devils and also look back at Chris idea of measuring the exact movement of the damper to help differentiate between spring and damper forces.

vibrac

VOC Member
I would like a lower seat but then the footrests would need dropping, they're a bit high now as my short legs don't want to bend like they used to, forward footrests would look out of place on a Vincent I think.
I intend to research folding footrests I think standard height will be ok but it would not be difficult to make some kinked folding end pieces to get an extra half inch or so
A comfortable riding position pays dividends loop mi

Chris Launders

VOC Member
That's what I'm going to try, I don't want to alter the ones I have and will probably make some with more drop, they did make some by the way, they're the rear ones with more offset to clear the panniers, when fitted to the front will give more drop.
Just remembered a friend has a pair, I shall have to see if I can borrow them to try.