E: Engine Comet for the 2020's

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The new ATD I bought has 15 deg throw. I time the Comet at 34deg btdc and she runs great..If it is too advanced as MartynG P1020414.JPG says you get this

vibrac

VOC Member
I didn't think anybody used an ATD any more, They were always bad news, The shock wore out the pinion, Plus bits in the bottom of the T/case !, The "D" Distributor seemed to work better, Don't know why. Cheers Bill.
Well I am a great advocate of the BT-H electronic I have two but this LUCAS performs well and I am not flush with cash so I will press it into service however I have an original BTH on my Grey Flash with a manual lever and would be quite happy to fit one to the Lucas. I have a vague recollection that you can use a BSA manual end unit but that must mean tight wire (advance?) since a rather stronger recollection is that post war Douglas are the only other British bike whose mag revolves the same way as Vincents (clock) I expect its all in Wkitapedia somewhere.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Well I am a great advocate of the BT-H electronic I have two but this LUCAS performs well and I am not flush with cash so I will press it into service however I have an original BTH on my Grey Flash with a manual lever and would be quite happy to fit one to the Lucas. I have a vague recollection that you can use a BSA manual end unit but that must mean tight wire (advance?) since a rather stronger recollection is that post war Douglas are the only other British bike whose mag revolves the same way as Vincents (clock) I expect its all in Wkitapedia somewhere.
I have an Old BTH on the Comet since the 70s, Slack advance, Do you know, I have just had to check to see which way it was !!, I don't think I will last till 2020 !.
But on the L/ning when I raced it, Dave Lindsey made me up a Lucas, Tight wire advance, I never had it retard on me, Just nipped up the lever screw.
The new Comet will have a "D" Distributor, With a Walkernator. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
If you change to a lower viscosity multi grade oil such as 10W-30 or 10W-40 you will find it much easirt to kick over. Even PEI recommended lighter oil not heavier
Yes I noted that trend I think that's a good suggestion however since this is an ex racing motor that I intend to use on a wide ranging basis sadly my first job is to remove all traces of my favourite lubricant from the internals hey ho I remember the day you could buy 'R' at every small towns motorcycle store. On my KSS have to carry a spare can of 'R' strapped to the empty battery carrier (shades of Eddie Stevens oil tin on his pannier) but I cant go that way with the Comet.

vibrac

VOC Member
checking again on Britespark it looks like both those machines were also ATD jobs so no manual end caps
and yes whitakerpedia does have some data http://www.voc.uk.com/net/docs/7.3/7.3-89-18.pdf but is from the halcyon days when you could buy a Lucas Part No. 458726-B3 off the shelf. I guess nowadays cost wise you would be half way to a BT-H , I think I will start with an ATD. Anyway its some way off I have just sent the head off to have a second 14mm plug hole added (For my decompression valve -though at 7.3 I may not need it)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
checking again on Britespark it looks like both those machines were also ATD jobs so no manual end caps
and yes whitakerpedia does have some data http://www.voc.uk.com/net/docs/7.3/7.3-89-18.pdf but is from the halcyon days when you could buy a Lucas Part No. 458726-B3 off the shelf. I guess nowadays cost wise you would be half way to a BT-H , I think I will start with an ATD. Anyway its some way off I have just sent the head off to have a second 14mm plug hole added (For my decompression valve -though at 7.3 I may not need it)
The britespark part of it would not affect the mag', If you wanted to make it manual, You would have to grind a new slot in the cam, And finding the right place is tricky but not too bad.
Ron and me built a Comet for a Widow Friend, And in the BIG box of bits, It was never a complete bike !, Was a mag' that had been britesparked, When we came to set it up it did not work, We took it of and played on the bench and Ron had the drill going the wrong way !!, It worked !!, I said to Ron the cam is for anticlock, Turned out we think the mag' was for a Velo !.
I was 3 hours from my home at Ron's, I went there for a few days to get it going / finish it off,, We thought we were in the --it.
Lin emailed britespark and they rang us back, Very helpful !, I didn't think you could run an anticlock, Clockwise,
But they told us how and where to grind a new slot in the camring and to use a clockwise points, I think for some reason we didn't have the right points, So just to get it going we used the points going the wrong way.
Cheers Bill.