• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Comet cable lengths - Clutch, Exhaust, Front brake

craig

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I seem to be finding new cables from suppliers that are in correctly manufactured.
I am fitting a new clutch cable HB10/1AS to a Comet and i find it short on inner cable length. My old clutch cable has 3.4" of free length, the new one HB10/1AS has 2.3"
Is there a listing on the web for these Vincent cable lengths to have a quick check for quality control?
It appears a standard Amal Brake/Clutch/Exhaust lever needs .6" for the release position. The Comet clutch cable appears unique with its ball end.
Anyone provide help on this please?
Craig

craig

VOC Member
Good suppliers are fine, but what are the lengths?

Hi VOC, I recieved a couple of nice PM's on this cable subject and i wrote this response.
i am in USA and bought mine from USA source. While the cable have "kinda" worked okay, i am not happy with the sheathing choice.....too heavy on front brake cable, inline length adjusters always in wrong place.....now the Comet clutch cable appears too short on inner.
So, my thought,
We need a public record of what a Vincent owner should expect for stock cable dimensions - for a quick quality check, rather than simply assume the supplier is correct.
Will JJ Cables or Venhill give you the free length dimension of a Comet clutch cable? or all the cables?
thanks for any help on this
Craig

craig

VOC Member
Comet clutch cable drawing HB10/1AS

here is a drawing to help with discussion. I hope some of you techincal guys can fill in the data for OEM cable dimensions.
Thanks for any help.
Craig

Attachments

• theVincentDotComCometHB10_1AS.jpg
    theVincentDotComCometHB10_1AS.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 55

craig

VOC Member
There are also dimensions to be associated with the
cable Amal end fitting
cable end fitting
cable sheathing OD/ID
cable end caps
cable adjuster
inner cable

Hopefully these will not be too technical or obscure to discuss. Certainly I want to know!
Thanks
Craig

craig

VOC Member
The Vincent Comet Burman gearbox also has a special split ferrule adapter associated with this clutch cable installation, and this adapter can play an important part in the fitting of the cable. Anybody have a dimension drawing or at least a picture of this Burman gearbox clutch cable adapter?

craig

VOC Member
If you want it right-you gotta do it for yourself! or learn how to ,like we all did!

Hi Roy, I agree making cables is a good thing. Who do you buy supplies from for this particular Comet cable? Or any and all Vincent cables? Are there any good on-line articles about cable fabrication?

But i still want a record of the OEM cable dimensions for a Vincent Comet, any help there is great , thank you
Craig

craig

VOC Member
Burman cable adapters for Vincent Comet

Thanks Len and Bruce , I will check into JJ cables and the parts suppliers. Yes, i have standard Amal levers with no adjust. I do see a slight variation in Burman cable adapters. I have never seen two Burman adapters alike, but they are similar in dimensions. The adapters are split and short in length, not like adustble type shown the Burman parts pages Thank you Craig

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Are you using the original 3/8" CEI adjuster into the original gear box inner cover?If so, you need an extra 1/2'' or so of inner free length.Also, an extra split feral ferrule immediately outboard of this makes cable fitment easy,allow another1/4'' for this.Set up the clutch and the actuating arm as per Riders' Handbook and then carefully grind away your outer cable to achieve Nirvana.Make sure your actuating arm is not installed arsy-tarsy the top of same should be visible through the inspection cap.When everything is working do write and share your mensuration.The grinding needs to be done cleverly-Mole Grips help.I pity the Club Spares folk;almost any Burman clutch/gearbox has been re-fettled over the last 50-odd years

craig

VOC Member
Burman cable adapters for Vincent Comet

Thanks Chankly, I am fitting a Conway clutch to 7090. I went to fit the new HB10/1AS cable, waaay too short to even attempt!
Old cable is 1.1" free cable longer than new (3.4 vs 2.3). I am not sure the old cable was correct, nor the old position of the clutch actuating lever under the cap. Hence this thread!
You can cut away housing, you can cut away inner cable, you can add adjusters...i understand all that and it is good to know, but i am after the basic clutch cable dimension for a Comet. When you order a new cable from a vendor HB10/1AS, there is no discussion about levers, split ferrules, threaded adapters, Magura adjustable levers, etc. ..... The vendor supplies a standard Vincent cable with the expectation of Amal/Doherty lever and simple small split ferrule at the Burman (is my guess).

#1, #2, and #3 are all within .050" of affecting any free cable length, so even tho they are different, they dont really affect any real cable dimensions....simply interesting that 3 Comets don't have same adapter

So now i would like to make public, for future Vincent reference, a record of Comet cable dimensions. I also would like the exact routing of each installed cable, but i will wait for another time.
Thanks to all for any help on this.
Craig

Attachments

• theVincentDotComBurmancableAdapters.jpg
    theVincentDotComBurmancableAdapters.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 44

craig

VOC Member
comet cable comparision

I measured 3 Comet clutch cables today for comparision...1 and 2 are used old cables that seemed to work fine, 3 is new cable from supplier that seems way too short to hook up.
Anybody got other data they can share?

Attachments

• theVincentDotComCometcableDataHB10_1AS.jpg
    theVincentDotComCometcableDataHB10_1AS.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 53

craig

VOC Member
Comet exhaust lifter cable end size

I have checked several "new" cables for Comet exhaust lift and find none fit the exhaust lifter! Is this non fit cable a known problem ? Is the Comet cable different from a twin in this respect? Do i hand file the cable end down?

Attachments

• ExhaustLifterBoreComet.jpg
    ExhaustLifterBoreComet.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 39

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?