Comet cable lengths - Clutch, Exhaust, Front brake

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I seem to be finding new cables from suppliers that are in correctly manufactured.
I am fitting a new clutch cable HB10/1AS to a Comet and i find it short on inner cable length. My old clutch cable has 3.4" of free length, the new one HB10/1AS has 2.3"
Is there a listing on the web for these Vincent cable lengths to have a quick check for quality control?
It appears a standard Amal Brake/Clutch/Exhaust lever needs .6" for the release position. The Comet clutch cable appears unique with its ball end.
Anyone provide help on this please?
Craig

craig

VOC Member
Good suppliers are fine, but what are the lengths?

Hi VOC, I recieved a couple of nice PM's on this cable subject and i wrote this response.
i am in USA and bought mine from USA source. While the cable have "kinda" worked okay, i am not happy with the sheathing choice.....too heavy on front brake cable, inline length adjusters always in wrong place.....now the Comet clutch cable appears too short on inner.
So, my thought,
We need a public record of what a Vincent owner should expect for stock cable dimensions - for a quick quality check, rather than simply assume the supplier is correct.
Will JJ Cables or Venhill give you the free length dimension of a Comet clutch cable? or all the cables?
thanks for any help on this
Craig

craig

VOC Member
Comet clutch cable drawing HB10/1AS

here is a drawing to help with discussion. I hope some of you techincal guys can fill in the data for OEM cable dimensions.
Thanks for any help.
Craig

Attachments

• theVincentDotComCometHB10_1AS.jpg
    theVincentDotComCometHB10_1AS.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 64

craig

VOC Member
There are also dimensions to be associated with the
cable Amal end fitting
cable end fitting
cable sheathing OD/ID
cable end caps
cable adjuster
inner cable

Hopefully these will not be too technical or obscure to discuss. Certainly I want to know!
Thanks
Craig

craig

VOC Member
The Vincent Comet Burman gearbox also has a special split ferrule adapter associated with this clutch cable installation, and this adapter can play an important part in the fitting of the cable. Anybody have a dimension drawing or at least a picture of this Burman gearbox clutch cable adapter?

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
cables

If you want it right-you gotta do it for yourself! or learn how to ,like we all did!

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
If you want it right-you gotta do it for yourself! or learn how to ,like we all did!

Hi Roy, I agree making cables is a good thing. Who do you buy supplies from for this particular Comet cable? Or any and all Vincent cables? Are there any good on-line articles about cable fabrication?

But i still want a record of the OEM cable dimensions for a Vincent Comet, any help there is great , thank you
Craig

craig

VOC Member
Burman cable adapters for Vincent Comet

Thanks Len and Bruce , I will check into JJ cables and the parts suppliers. Yes, i have standard Amal levers with no adjust. I do see a slight variation in Burman cable adapters. I have never seen two Burman adapters alike, but they are similar in dimensions. The adapters are split and short in length, not like adustble type shown the Burman parts pages Thank you Craig