• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Comet Burman Mainshaft Dimensions

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
I'm trying to ascertain the provenance of a couple of Burman mainshafts I have here in the hope that they might be C Comet ones. So if anyone out there has a known C Comet mainshaft lying about, could you provide the following dimensions please:

Overall Length.
Length of clutch spline (upto but not including the 3/16 thick shoulder).
Length of main splined section (0.9325" dia part - probably in excess of 6 inches).
Length of 20mm dia part including the ratchet splines but ignoring the thread for the nut on the end.

Thanks in anticipation,

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

serious C

Forum Website User
VOC Member
Hello Peter,

I only have metric instruments and to prevent any miscalculations you better convert them by yourself.

Overall Length: 287mm

Length of clutch spline (upto but not including the 3/16 thick shoulder): 18.8mm

Length of main splined section (0.9325" dia part - probably in excess of 6 inches): 180mm(about 7inches)of wich 101mm are splined.

Length of 20mm dia part including the ratchet splines but ignoring the thread for the nut on the end: 61mm

These are definitely from a Burman Bap Gearbox fitted on my Comet

I hope that helps.

Regards
Karsten

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Thank you so much Karsten (Serious C) for your very precise and helpful reply. Added to that, I had a call from Clev Trev and another from Klaus-D Sievers both confirming the above figures. So thank you everyone; I can now confirm that I have one C Comet mainshaft (measurements as above) and one Ariel mainshaft which I might be able to modify for my A.

This Forum is great!

Cheers,

Peter B
Bristol, UK

Warning! This thread is more than 10yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.