Comet Burman Mainshaft Dimensions

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm trying to ascertain the provenance of a couple of Burman mainshafts I have here in the hope that they might be C Comet ones. So if anyone out there has a known C Comet mainshaft lying about, could you provide the following dimensions please:

Overall Length.
Length of clutch spline (upto but not including the 3/16 thick shoulder).
Length of main splined section (0.9325" dia part - probably in excess of 6 inches).
Length of 20mm dia part including the ratchet splines but ignoring the thread for the nut on the end.

Thanks in anticipation,

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

serious C

Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Peter,

I only have metric instruments and to prevent any miscalculations you better convert them by yourself.

Overall Length: 287mm

Length of clutch spline (upto but not including the 3/16 thick shoulder): 18.8mm

Length of main splined section (0.9325" dia part - probably in excess of 6 inches): 180mm(about 7inches)of wich 101mm are splined.

Length of 20mm dia part including the ratchet splines but ignoring the thread for the nut on the end: 61mm

These are definitely from a Burman Bap Gearbox fitted on my Comet

I hope that helps.

Regards
Karsten

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thank you so much Karsten (Serious C) for your very precise and helpful reply. Added to that, I had a call from Clev Trev and another from Klaus-D Sievers both confirming the above figures. So thank you everyone; I can now confirm that I have one C Comet mainshaft (measurements as above) and one Ariel mainshaft which I might be able to modify for my A.

This Forum is great!

Cheers,

Peter B
Bristol, UK