• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Misc: Everything Else Comet Breather Bolt

brian gains

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Can anyone confirm that this should be the A22/1 'long' bolt and also the thread size.
Thanks

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Maybe yours has been modified ?, Stripped thread ?, Or maybe 2 pipes together ?.
We do need bigger breather holes !, Well I do !.
The are a few A22, As you can see my photos, But the only one long one is in the T/case.

brian gains

VOC Member
The first 6 -7mm of the c'case breather outlet has no thread and if that means it has stripped I've never seen such a machined finish to a stripped thread.
The Comet is a '51 which I understand would have had an ali'bamjo bolt from the get go and that if gorilla force had been used on the bolt it is usual for the bolt to shear before the case threads are damaged. Although this does not preclude ham fisted abuse of the thread in the past or a steel banjo bolt having been fitted and chewed the thread. But again, the first 6-7mm of the hole looks like a machined finish.
So having considered making up a longer bolt, the threads beyond the first 6-7mm appearing to be in unmolested condition and the bolt picks up on them quite nicely but without the banjo union, I went for the expedient solution; removed the washers and used a smear of sealer instead: Result, enough thread engaged and bolt tightened down quite firmly.
After a 80 mile bimble into Kent the motor and chassis are freer of oil mist/leaks than ever, next step will be to do 'O' ring mod at Burman splined gear shift.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The standard breather is not a good idea, I would blank it off with a drain bung,
Even Mr Vincent changed them on the "D".

Attachments

• IMG_20200804_081723 (4).jpg
    IMG_20200804_081723 (4).jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 12

Martyn Goodwin

VOC Member
The standard breather is not a good idea, I would blank it off with a drain bung,
Even Mr Vincent changed them on the "D".
I am using the timed breather with the Irving Mod from Tuning for speed. I made the opening a tad wider than Phil mentioned. My timed breather opens around 20 ATDC and closes at 5 ABDC. No oil leaks and a eggcup of emulsion per 500 miles in the catch tank. I'm happy!

Last edited:

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?

The Mighty Garage Videos

List of Forum Categories