Misc: Everything Else Comet Breather Bolt

brian gains

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can anyone confirm that this should be the A22/1 'long' bolt and also the thread size.
Thanks

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
See F, same as a Comet, Not shown on Comet page.

Attachments

• MO18.gif
    MO18.gif
    125.2 KB · Views: 20
  • MO66.gif
    MO66.gif
    93.3 KB · Views: 20

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Maybe yours has been modified ?, Stripped thread ?, Or maybe 2 pipes together ?.
We do need bigger breather holes !, Well I do !.
The are a few A22, As you can see my photos, But the only one long one is in the T/case.

brian gains

VOC Member
The first 6 -7mm of the c'case breather outlet has no thread and if that means it has stripped I've never seen such a machined finish to a stripped thread.
The Comet is a '51 which I understand would have had an ali'bamjo bolt from the get go and that if gorilla force had been used on the bolt it is usual for the bolt to shear before the case threads are damaged. Although this does not preclude ham fisted abuse of the thread in the past or a steel banjo bolt having been fitted and chewed the thread. But again, the first 6-7mm of the hole looks like a machined finish.
So having considered making up a longer bolt, the threads beyond the first 6-7mm appearing to be in unmolested condition and the bolt picks up on them quite nicely but without the banjo union, I went for the expedient solution; removed the washers and used a smear of sealer instead: Result, enough thread engaged and bolt tightened down quite firmly.
After a 80 mile bimble into Kent the motor and chassis are freer of oil mist/leaks than ever, next step will be to do 'O' ring mod at Burman splined gear shift.