• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Clutch Adjusttment

Ducvelo

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
On my BS, I need to set some 1/4" freeplay in the clutch adjuster, otherwise it slips when hot. It doesn't seem to lose the freeplay when hot - anyone any idea why it slips in this way and I need so much free play (which limits of course the amount of lift, resulting in a bit of drag). Could it be something to do with wear in the actuator arm?
Also, what's the correct throw on the handlebar clutch lever. Mine is 7/8" (pivot to cable). On Vincents, should they be greater, like on the Velocettes (which I think are 1 1/8")?
Thanks for any thoughts.

clevtrev

VOC Member
On my BS, I need to set some 1/4" freeplay in the clutch adjuster, otherwise it slips when hot. It doesn't seem to lose the freeplay when hot - anyone any idea why it slips in this way and I need so much free play (which limits of course the amount of lift, resulting in a bit of drag). Could it be something to do with wear in the actuator arm?
Also, what's the correct throw on the handlebar clutch lever. Mine is 7/8" (pivot to cable). On Vincents, should they be greater, like on the Velocettes (which I think are 1 1/8")?
Thanks for any thoughts.
1 1/8" or better.

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Ducvelo,
When I put my B Rapide back together it had 1 1/8 pull levers. I found that if I adjusted the clutch as per the Riders Instruction book then, when the handlebar lever was pulled fully against the bars, one or more of the 6 clutch springs would be coil-bound.
This led to a tilted plate which of course caused drag.

I now have a correct 7/8 pull lever and use more than enough slack.
The reduced leverage can even make clutch engagement control easier.

Tatty

Warning! This thread is more than 11yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.