Clutch Adjusttment

Ducvelo

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On my BS, I need to set some 1/4" freeplay in the clutch adjuster, otherwise it slips when hot. It doesn't seem to lose the freeplay when hot - anyone any idea why it slips in this way and I need so much free play (which limits of course the amount of lift, resulting in a bit of drag). Could it be something to do with wear in the actuator arm?
Also, what's the correct throw on the handlebar clutch lever. Mine is 7/8" (pivot to cable). On Vincents, should they be greater, like on the Velocettes (which I think are 1 1/8")?
Thanks for any thoughts.

clevtrev

VOC Member
On my BS, I need to set some 1/4" freeplay in the clutch adjuster, otherwise it slips when hot. It doesn't seem to lose the freeplay when hot - anyone any idea why it slips in this way and I need so much free play (which limits of course the amount of lift, resulting in a bit of drag). Could it be something to do with wear in the actuator arm?
Also, what's the correct throw on the handlebar clutch lever. Mine is 7/8" (pivot to cable). On Vincents, should they be greater, like on the Velocettes (which I think are 1 1/8")?
Thanks for any thoughts.
1 1/8" or better.

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Ducvelo,
When I put my B Rapide back together it had 1 1/8 pull levers. I found that if I adjusted the clutch as per the Riders Instruction book then, when the handlebar lever was pulled fully against the bars, one or more of the 6 clutch springs would be coil-bound.
This led to a tilted plate which of course caused drag.

I now have a correct 7/8 pull lever and use more than enough slack.
The reduced leverage can even make clutch engagement control easier.

Tatty