E: Engine Cams- looking end on

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was well in concert with davidd with 10 being possibly a mk2 and 6 being a mk1or mk111 when I looked at No9
This has the distinction of having a lightened wheel which would indicate some serious performance intentions
it does seem to be beefier than 6 but not as offset as 10 if i had expensive Photoshop software i could rotate and super impose profiles
since for once in my life I am not looking for performance I guess the skinny cans are what I should fit

1704810991155.png

oexing

VOC Member
Just by the looks that C9 appears too symmetric for producing symmetric valve lifts. That may be more suitable for curved followers but you can only tell by plotting valve lifts with it.
Just had checked my Andrews Mk 2 , it got 8.15mm cam lift. So this number can be compared to what you got at home. I can provide diagrams measured with a 20mm ball bearing on the Andrews cams - if that may be useful. Also I got a diagram - for rough milling by face cutting mill. So this can easily compared with your cam when you setup a test stand like in the photo below. A clock with a tee and a dividing head can supply these numbers for judging profiles.

Vic
P1040687.JPG

ilikevelos

Forum User
VOC Member
HI,New to the forum and this is my first post. I am in the beginning of a restoration of a C Touring Rapide and a B rapide over the next year or two. Thought I would start a restore post on both if that would be of interest. Meanwhile I was in the process of restoring the C Touring Rapide back in the 2000s before life intervened. I have a new set of Robinson 105 cams I got directly from Gary Robinson. They are currently in the timing chest of the C for test shimming and I will be taking them out anyway.
Would photos of these be of help?

oexing

VOC Member
Thanks for that photo, shows clearly how radiussed followers effect cam shapes for wider bigger radii. But still asymmetric cams are correct for lever followers in both types.

Vic

oexing

VOC Member
Why not better have a set of Megacycle cams, Mk 1 or Mk 2 ? I believe they faithfully continue the Andrews improved types which look great. That might save you from some frustration trying your used cams, when these spares cannot be identified - from unknown source and manufacture.

Vic

fogrider

VOC Member
I don't think anyone is going to get this thread back to Vincent cam profiles:rolleyes:
OK, what about this; many years ago, a Vincent engineer showed me a couple of ally templates, as I remember they had a cut-out that was a perfect fit on a cam lobe, shape and lift, clearly identifying which cam it was. The clever guys who make PDF's of cam profiles could easily have some highly accurate templates laser cut. There sounds like a market for a few ? Must be better than a judgment by eye and way easier than creating a profile by use of a lathe and a DTI. ?