H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Buying Tyres for a Rapide

Texas John

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
OK.
First, Big Ed. The button heads are inside the rim so Texas John is correct, in that the forces would tend to push the buttons into the rim. I will also tell you the first one I did stuck out too far so after a couple of days I decided to take it out and change it for a shorter one. Had to beat the (*&&^ out of it to remove it, So NO I have absolutely no concern whatsoever....

PS, I'm not the first person who has done this.
I mistook "inside the rim" as being into the shallow drop down area of the rim on the tire/tube side (and less visible) but that is the outside of the rim whereas you are speaking of inside being towards the hub (and more visible); that side would also not have concerns about centrifugal forces causing them to come loose. My mistake.

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
OK.
First, Big Ed. The button heads are inside the rim so Texas John is correct, in that the forces would tend to push the buttons into the rim. I will also tell you the first one I did stuck out too far so after a couple of days I decided to take it out and change it for a shorter one. Had to beat the (*&&^ out of it to remove it, So NO I have absolutely no concern whatsoever....

PS, I'm not the first person who has done this.
I more or less said the same as Texas John that the buttons will be held in place by centrifugal force. I think there is little chance that they or the tyre will move. Poor choice of wording on my behalf regarding the tyre moving. I removed the security bolts from my rims and have never bothered to block off the holes and covered tens of thousands of miles with no problems.