BUYING ADVICE Vincent Black Shadow

Tomas

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Sorry Tomas, I was not trying to put you off.
I built my L/ning rep' out of a load of broken bits from Africa, Many years ago, But then they were very cheap !.
Trust me, Just because a bike is made of odd bits they can still go well.
Just that I know how the money side of it can go very high.
And the time at the repairers can be long.
All The Best, Bill.
Bill,
no you did not!.. I am glad what you had an opportunity to buy your parts cheap,I fully agree with you what bike built from the bits can be equal to the 1 piece machine it all comes to tuning and state of mechanics at the end...

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The sale has now finished. The shadow sold for 88,900, the Godet egli 60,000, both including premiums, but without v a t. The sale raised 3 million 200,000!.There was only one unsold item, a "fake" mv augusta !

cstewart

Non-VOC Member
The sale has now finished. The shadow sold for 88,900, the Godet egli 60,000, both including premiums, but without v a t. The sale raised 3 million 200,000!.There was only one unsold item, a "fake" mv augusta !

Excellent result. Can't believe the shadow and the egli made that money though.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Personally, I don't agree that it's an "excellent result" for genuine Vincent owners and riders….:(
Only for the auctioneers.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
I think it was an excellent result for cancer sufferers in Dorset, and also every time a Vincent makes decent money (what they are worth!) in any sort of transaction it sort of VIN-dicates my decision to purchase the creme de la creme of motorcycles 51 years ago, when most of my contemporaries regarded them old fashioned and worthless junk.

karl johnson

VOC Member
if i were you tomas.... id keep away from auctions.

you sound similar to myself.... ille try not to bore you.

when i decided to buy my comet (dealer bike) i agreed to myself i am ok for the general maintanance of the machine, but mechanical overhauls is out because i am not yet skilled at it.. ille chip away as i go along.
i bought it to ride.....but i dont know the state of the bike mechanicaly,although i bought it and heard it running .(after all its my neck on the bike).
so i allowed extra funds to comission a guy to perform an engine strip and build to check things over and any thing that needs looking,he will carry it out and charge me accordingly and thats what i did. the turnaround was about 5 month.

keep away from auctions and paying over the odds... bidding fever.... because by the sounds of it you will need funds for possible repairs. the if you buy a v twin and you have engine problems the last price i knew for a v twin overhaul was 10k.

plain and simply buy through the club classified or any dealers in MPH..it should be cheaper than any auction... but remember allocate big money to spend on it for uprising problems.... if you are going for a v twin good luck.... you are more brave than i.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Whilst Albervin's statement is correct, when you have a real"odd lot" to sell the auctions can get the job done. A few years ago I wanted to sell my 500 g p racer. It was one of two prototypes. Nobody could value it. Just for a laugh check out bonhams:1965 dmw typhoon frame pro10.

timetraveller

VOC Member
It is a very small world. One of the riders mentioned in the write up for Roy's prototype bike is Peter Crew who was one of the riders of the Lightning replica at Goodwood less than two weeks ago.