BUYING ADVICE Vincent Black Shadow

Tomas

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello & big thank you to all the members who are reading my post,your opinion will be much appreciated.

I have asked several times for advice couple of years back and thank you to those to helped me not make a wrong choice/mistake when looking for the Vincent machine.

Next week there will be a 1951 Vincent Series - C Black Shadow,registration no. LVR 272 ,frame no. RC8064B / engine no. F10AB/1B/6164 auctioned at Bonham's auction in London.

It seems to be visually in very decent condition,thats all I can tell personally judging from the photographs.I will add the url link from auctions website which contains good quality photographs of this motorcycle ( I hope I am not breaching the forum rules).

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23871/lot/564/

I will be able to add some more detailed photographs Saturdays eve.I would really appreciate if any of you could advice or just share your opinion about this motorcycle.

My knowledge is very limited,I read & own a lot of books and literature related to HRD Vincent motorcycles,but do not have any practical experience with Vincent motorcycles.Always liked and wanted to own this motorcycle,time is passing and prices are not getting any lower..and I am still at the same place where I started some years back...

Apologise for bad spelling/sentence structure I am not a native english speaker.

Kind regards!

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Bonhams guide price is what you'd expect to pay for a good riders machine. This bike has been unused for 45 years and will probably need a fair bit spent to re-commission.

If you can afford this but want a bike to ride, check out the offerings from VOCSpares.

timetraveller

VOC Member
You are doing the right thing to ask this Forum and to seek advice so with luck you will get a good bike. The only problems that are likely to arise with this bike stem from the fact that it has been laid up for decades. Whether this will have resulted in rusty cylinder bores, valves or anything else is something that you will have to find out before you start to bid. There seems to be a nasty dent in the top of the petrol tank which if it is filled and repainted will mean that money will have to be spent unless you are prepared and capable of doing the work yourself. This same problem will apply to other things. For example the tyres and battery, and possibly the wiring, will now be in poor condition due to the bike just standing for a long time. Even if it has been stored in dry and dark conditions it is likely that at least those items will have to be replaced. The magneto will probably have to be rebuilt and if you really want to use it then converting to a 12 volt system, from the original 6 volt system would be advisable. This can be done by just changing the regulator these days and does not necessarily mean a new dynamo or alternator. Since this bike was laid up there have been many innovations made by Vincent enthusiasts which would make life easier but if you want it to look completely standard then none of those would be useful to you. These include electric starter, a roll on centre stand and a small alternator to replace the original dynamo. You might find that the foam inside the seat has gone hard and there are likely to be other minor items which will need to be changed, but kept looking original if you are to enjoy using the bike. If you are able and enjoy working on old bikes then most of the work can be done for only the cost of replacement parts. If not then you will have to employ someone who has the experience and competence to work on Vincents and the total cost is likely to be in thousands of pounds, not hundreds. I wish you well with your new endeavour. Of course those of us on this Forum are biased but most of us think that Vincents are wonderful when they are sorted out.

Tomas

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
T
The Bonhams guide price is what you'd expect to pay for a good riders machine. This bike has been unused for 45 years and will probably need a fair bit spent to re-commission.

If you can afford this but want a bike to ride, check out the offerings from VOCSpares.

Thank you for taking time to look at it,I do understand what it will need some serious re-commissioning,I wanted a machine which wasn't fully restored/repainted,I would like to preserve the condition it is in in terms of cosmetic aspects.I keep monitoring VOCSpares adds too...

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
You are talking of a 60+ year old bike. It has not run for 40 odd years. There is most likely a reason for this. I would guess that it has a serious problem. If it was a "good-un" why has it not run for so long? Tread carefully. There is always another one out there.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Tomas, please don't create duplicate threads, I merged the two into this one.

davidd

VOC Member
Tomas,

I have to agree with you that the bike is visually decent and it looks like a nice bike for a "no restoration" restoration. You will have to make a decision based on a closer visual inspection if you can. Look at all the hardware, nuts and bolts. If the slots in the screws are worn and the nuts are rounded you will know that someone has been inside the engine quite a bit. Look for bent or broken fins, pry marks and general abuse. If it looks good, it is likely to be in decent internal shape. If it looks bad, adjust the price of a rebuild upwards. Based on what you think you can afford for the rebuild and what you hope to bid, set your upper limit for the price. Do this well before the auction and stick to it. I think it is OK to set a high price if the bike is what you want and you are prepared for the cost of the rebuild.

You should always check the numbers with Simon regardless of the listed provenance. Just like the internal condition, you are trying to make a bet that you can win. With Simon you can confirm the provenance and it will not be a bet that you might lose.

David

Tomas

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Tomas,

I have to agree with you that the bike is visually decent and it looks like a nice bike for a "no restoration" restoration. You will have to make a decision based on a closer visual inspection if you can. Look at all the hardware, nuts and bolts. If the slots in the screws are worn and the nuts are rounded you will know that someone has been inside the engine quite a bit. Look for bent or broken fins, pry marks and general abuse. If it looks good, it is likely to be in decent internal shape. If it looks bad, adjust the price of a rebuild upwards. Based on what you think you can afford for the rebuild and what you hope to bid, set your upper limit for the price. Do this well before the auction and stick to it. I think it is OK to set a high price if the bike is what you want and you are prepared for the cost of the rebuild.

You should always check the numbers with Simon regardless of the listed provenance. Just like the internal condition, you are trying to make a bet that you can win. With Simon you can confirm the provenance and it will not be a bet that you might lose.

David

David,

thank you for your thoughts and tips,I do not like personally to overestimate its condition...I have some fears what it might have some serious faults...but again it might not be in tragic state...I will have a chance to inspect it closely today.

You have suggested to check the numbers with Simon,I do not know personally who is 'Simon',may you direct me?Thank you!