Burman Gearbox Clutch Adjuster

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The Burman gearbox has an entry hole in the cover for the clutch cable. This hole is threaded 3/8 CEI which, I understand, is intended to take a adjustable cable stop and locknut.

Was this adjuster an original feature of the Burman boxes on Vincent singles as I have never seen one in place on any bike I have viewed.

If it was not installed "as original" by the factory, what did the factory use to stop the cable end simply being pulled thru the 3/8 threaded hole into the interior of the gearbox?

Martyn

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
The Burman gearbox has an entry hole in the cover for the clutch cable. This hole is threaded 3/8 CEI which, I understand, is intended to take a adjustable cable stop and locknut.

Was this adjuster an original feature of the Burman boxes on Vincent singles as I have never seen one in place on any bike I have viewed.

If it was not installed "as original" by the factory, what did the factory use to stop the cable end simply being pulled thru the 3/8 threaded hole into the interior of the gearbox?

Martyn

An unthreaded spigotted ferrule. It is available from the Spares Co. Unfortunately I am not near my Spares list so cannot quote the part number at the moment.

greg brillus

VOC Member
One can only imagin that the thread was to take a "Threaded Adjuster" originally, but it's location would make adjustment interesting, unless you had the hands of a small monkey.......mmmmm, A fine threaded adjuster into alloy......sounds like the primary adjuster on the twins, but hey ....they never strip do they......MUCH.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
One can only imagin that the thread was to take a "Threaded Adjuster" originally, but it's location would make adjustment interesting, unless you had the hands of a small monkey.......mmmmm, A fine threaded adjuster into alloy......sounds like the primary adjuster on the twins, but hey ....they never strip do they......MUCH.

Hi Greg,
I cheated :D
I made my own adjustewr with double locknuts which is a floating fit in the hole, thus can easily be removed and adjusted ;-)

Neil

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member

Martyn
Hi Martyn I have the same as mentioned by Hugo, can't say I am at all impressed, I was under the impression that adjustment was carried out by mid cable adjuster?

Kevin

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member

I have two 'C' Comets and three Burman boxes, one kept as a spare. The spare one has the threaded and slotted adjuster. This was used on other makes with Burman boxes. As you say on the Comet it is a pig to get at and adjust in situ, hence, I suppose, Vincent's use of the un-threaded ferrule. The non-threaded Vincent Part No. is G94/1SS Comet Clutch Abutment.

Last edited:

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I have two 'C' Comets and three Burman boxes, one kept as a spare. The spare one has the threaded and slotted adjuster. This was used on other makes with Burman boxes. As you say on the Comet it is a pig to get at and adjust in situ, hence, I suppose, Vincent's use of the un-threaded ferrule. The non-threaded Vincent Part No. is G94/1SS Comet Clutch Abutment.[/QUOTE

Vincent chose to provide adjustment by cable so the threads in the inner cover serve no purpose on the Comet and Meteor. Hugo,even more of a pig for access is the Comet Valve Lifter cable; that can be a real struggle!